Large Rocks Question 

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I put my mollies in the 10 gallon is it ok to use the large black rocks instead of gravel or sand. This will be a while but I want to make sure those fish would be ok with that type of rock. Thank ya'll all for answering so many of my questions.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As long as the rocks past the vinegar test (put a few drops of vinegar on the rocks...if it bubbles, they're no good...if it doesn't bubble, they're fine), they'll be fine.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thanks I'll try that.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are they balloon mollies or regular mollies? Regular ones should be in at least a 20 gallon because they grow up to 4".

If you drag pantyhose over the rocks without a snag then you'll be fine. Mollies like to pick around in the substrate somewhat.

-Lisa

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 4 dalmatian female mollies and an algae eater.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of "algae eater"? An "algae eater" is nine times out of ten a common plecostomus, which grow to be 18" (regardless of the size tank they're in) and produce TONS of waste, plus they stop eating algae once they get to be a certain size. Or, it could be a Chinese Algae Eater, in which case, they're just as bad, as they get to be at least 6" long and tend to become VERY aggressive as they get bigger and they stop eating algae and start eating the slime coat off their tank mates once they reach about 4" or so.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a rubber lip pleco. he was in there with the dalmatian mollies. There wer at least 5 in the tank with them. I thought everyone had to have one.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keep in mind that you need to be able to use a siphon to clean properly. Some people have trouble if the rocks are too big, with waste getting stuck underneath them. Just another thing to keep in mind

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Algae eaters (plecos or otherwise) aren't exactly necessary. They make a neat addition, but you don't *have* to have one. I have two community tanks going right now and neither of them have plecos in them. My 55gal has a couple of otocinlus catfish in it and I have no problems with algae in any of my tanks. You just have to watch your parameters and you should be fine. The rubberlips are pretty cool, but make sure you have real driftwood for it.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why do I need driftwood?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Because it'll supplement the pleco's diet, plus it gives them a good place to hide. They like blanched veggies as well (especially zuccinI and cucumbers).

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Driftwood aides a pleco's digestive system.

They need it in their diet, I guess it must be like Metamucil for pleco's

I'm not sure about rubbernose, but many plecos (esp bristlenose) love a bit of vegetable matter too.... blanched (steamed) zucchini, cucumber

And yeah, if the rock passes the vinegar test, then you should be right to use it, as long as it has no sharp edges that your fish could rub up against and hurt themselves.

[edit by bass ]

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads