Large Red Parrot Cave Ideas?

1. W

W.L. New Member Member

Hi, I recently took on some large red parrots and want to create some places for them to hide. But these guys are 8-9 inches long, does anybody have any ideas on what can be used for large caves? There isn't much in the 125 gallon tank they're currently in and I want to keep things as minimalistic as possible (avoiding giant rocks or landscaping that would serve more of a visual purpose than a functional one) so as to give these fishes more space to swim and maneuver around.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Try looking for some pieces of driftwood that would do the job.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Consider pvc piping?

Plastic plants even, epsecially ones with nice big wide leaves.

4. OP
    OP
    W

W.L. New Member Member

Thanks 75g Discus Tank and aussieJJDude!

75g Discus Tank - I have some driftwood from another tank but I worry they're not very "cave-like" and would need to find a way to station it in a bare bottom tank or else the fish will knock it around quite a bit.

aussieJJDude - Do you know where I can get large pvc pipes that will fit these guys? They're 9" long and around 7+inches high. The pvc pipes I see at homedepot are pretty small, the largest I've scene are 4" or sometimes 6" but nothing much larger.

5. aussieJJDude

They should sell PVC thats 8 inches in diameter, if not consider asking if they could order some in? Or depending on your location, go to another hardware store or if available, bathroom/plumbing store?

As for driftwood caves, mayalasian driftwood would be a good choice. You could easily create something with a couple of pieces drilled and zip tied together, or just that suitable piece that has a substantial sized overhang for them to enjoy.

6. OP
    OP
    W

W.L. New Member Member

Thanks, aussieJJDude! I'll ask around for those 8" PVCs. Now that I think about it, my fish may not like the brightness of a white colored cave (they get scared pretty easily and dont really like lights), is there a way for me to recolor a PVC pipe? What kind of paint would be safe for aquariums?

7. aussieJJDude

Krylon fusion is commonly refered to. So I'd suggest looking into them!

Would also suggest purchasing black (its more like a dark grey, but still works) PVC, but that tends to be a bit more expensive in comparison to the white PVC.

Could also cover with gravel/sand. Sandpaper the pipe, smother on silicone (wear gloves) and add gravel on top. Will help to blend in the tank a bit as well... but very messy/fun process!

Could also use terracotta pots as well! Always forget about them, since they never really my atheistic as they hard to blend in and make look natural IMO.

8. OP
    OP
    W

W.L. New Member Member

Great! Thanks so much, this is very helpful.

Yeah, I also agree about the pots. Maybe it's just our personal opinions but I usually can't get it to look good with the tank.

9. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

Send a current picture of the tank, you can always cut up a large piece of plastic, maybe evern a milk jug, then coat it in soem sort of concrete/quikcrete to look like a “rock” instead of an ugly pot. Be sure to water cure it and do several water changes before putting it in the tank to make it easier on yourself.

10. OP
    OP
    W

W.L. New Member Member

Thanks, Bradley! That's quite crafty. But I'm always a bit paranoid about using concrete in the tank because there are so many different opinions online about how long it takes to wait for it to dry before it would be "safe" and whether the surfaces are too rough for the cave because these guys are large and tend to dart around the tank quite a bit for every little thing (like even opening the lights).

Recently, I saw some people online using expanding foam (used to seal ponds) for aquarium decorations. But they seem a bit more complex and I'm not sure if I'll be skilled enough to handle, haha! Has anyone ever tried it?