Large Planted Community Aquarium Stocking!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nicholas pilgrim, May 5, 2019.

1. Nicholas pilgrim

Nicholas pilgrimValued MemberMember

Hi all,
    i will soon be setting up an 100 gallon community tank and had this stocking plan in mind. can i get others opinions on the plan and what could be added.
    Current plan:
    5 x boesmani rainbowfish
    5 x dwarf praecox
    3x turquoise rainbow
    1 x keyhole cichlid
    10 x black phantom tetras
    10 x bronze corydoras
    1 x GBR
    1 x bristlenose catfish
    5 x glass catfish
    1 x rainbow shark
    Thanks, all input welcome

2. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I prefer bigger schools as fish will behave differently and it makes the tank seem more peaceful.

3. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

Thanks, is there enough room to up each of the rainbows by 1 or 2 then

4. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I think you could up them all to 6, maybe 7

5. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

Could i do this:
    - bring the tourquoise up to 4
    - the boesemani's up to 6
    - bring the praecox up to 7
    also does anyone have any other fish ideas or is the plan already good.

6. nikm128

That would work, the current plan is already great but you do have a little bit of room left for anything you want to add. Maybe a school of hatchetfish to get more activity at the top?

7. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

sounds great. I have 2 yoyo loaches in another aquarium i am taking down, could i add them to this stocking or not. ill look into the hatchet fish as well.

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I don't think the rainbow shark and the glass catfish are a good fit in this tank. GBRs like warmer temps than these would see long term in the wild, plus rainbows can be territorial and glass catfish are sensitive and shy.

9. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

ive seen all of those (glass cats, rainbow sharks and GBR's) with rainbow fish without problems. also the temperature is staying around 79 degrees.

10. nikm128

You could, though they could stress the cory's with how active they are
    I think I've talked with him about the GBR temp before. It seems to be thriving despite the lower temps

11. SM1199

SM1199Well Known MemberMember

If you do end up getting glass cats, I highly advise getting a good school of them - maybe more around 10 than 5 - since they are truly stunning in groups and more likely to be happy. They're sensitive fish.

12. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

thanks for the clarification on the temperatures. that is also true my ram for some reason does prefer slightly lower temperatures. i might also add the loaches but take them out if they stress the corys.

13. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

I might also up the glass catfish to around 7 - 8.

14. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I wasn't saying the rainbowfish were the problem, I was referring to the rainbow shark with the GBR and cories, and the glass cats for that matter. I know how they are, I've kept them before....

Also, your ram may seem to be 'thriving' right now, that's not telling of how it'll end up..... keeping fish at the wrong temps messes with their metabolism, shortening their lifespans.

15. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

when he was in an aquarium with higher temperatures he was less colored and wouldn't eat.

16. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

If i were to not add the glass cats and the rainbow shark what would be some other ideas that would work well.

17. nikm128

Can you elaborate? I don't see why the rainbow shark is an issue, I have one with cory's and haven't had a problem. Though you may be right about the glass cats, they are very sensitive IME as well
    A red tail shark is smaller and has less of an attitude if you still want a similar look. If you end up swapping the glass cats, I would either use the space to up the rainbow schools, or do a school of roseline sharks/Denison barbs

18. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

I was told by others not to add red tailed sharks because they are more aggressive. also when i when i was talking about the rainbow shark being a problem i was just listening and responding to another post because i have no experience with this fish.

19. toeknee

toekneeWell Known MemberMember

Keyholes are a peaceful, social cichlid that like to be in groups so I would do 5 keyholes. If they're by themselves they can be very shy and hide a lot, having a group makes them more bold .

20. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

Would a group of three work. Does it have to be 1 male and 2 females.