Large Natural Pond

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by AngelTheGypsy, Apr 16, 2017.

1. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Does anyone have any experience with large natural ponds/small lakes and keeping/stocking native fish species?

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I've seen quite a few in my life, and I've seen how they were stocked but that is about it :)

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you own the pond?

4. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

Part of it...

5. APierce

One of those...it's fed by a stream, so you can fish here but technically no one else can because you own it and they don't...or?

6. Al913

By stocking what do you mean?

Is it against the law?

Normally releasing animals even if its native is against the law and you need permission or a license

7. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

Yup. There are 7 or 8 houses on the "lake" and it's private. You have to own property or have permission from someone who does, to have access. Our property lines extend to the center of the water. It has bass in it, and we are looking into stocking it with more "feeder fish" (brim, tilapia, shad) to control vegetation and provide a food source for the bass. My husband fishes for bass often, in our lake and on the big ones. Has done several tournaments as well. He is talking about throwing a couple 1000 fish in there. It's a large body of water, and all fish would be native species, but now that I do fish tanks... I'm wondering if that's going to throw the water all outta whack! (We are talking about fish out of a fish truck, less than an inch long, in a 20+ acre pond/lake)

8. Al913

Well as long as you aren't doing anything against the law you should be fine..?

Last thing you want though is ruining the ecosystem :)!

9. APierce

How is it fed, and how is it emptied? Is there drought, how fast does the water flow. Streams and ponds that are fed by streams and even lakes are much different than our little tanks. Does the pond not get any little fish in it already?

There are several things to think about and several things that could happen honestly....like the fish could all swim away and the bass won't even touch them, or other fish could eat them, or they could grow bigger and then you'll have more of a stock in the pond.

I wouldn't put anything in the pond that isn't already in there as well...or else you can have an ecosystem change and the (for example) Talipia would take over.

I say this because i've seen it happen....the lake that fed the stream that fed the pond, that fed the swamp had an ecosystem disruption and bowfins took over and the pond (that you use to be able to catch pike and bass and bluegill out of )ended up with TONS of bowfins..the little fish that use to control the pond plants were gone, so they also took over!

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

Tilapia are a natural food source for bass, as are shad and bluegill (the other fish he was talking about and I forgot). The water level is steady year round, I believe it is fed by an underground spring. There's nowhere to swim away. He's talking about doing this because all the fish he keeps catching in there are all the size to suggest they don't have a steady food source. If there are other little fish in there they are steadily kept in control by the bass. He also plans to stick more bass as well. But the food source first.

11. Al913

Hopefully we don't sound like we're rashing on you :), just want to make sure all things are considered. In the end it will be up to you to make the decision since none of us here know how the pond looks or exactly the lay out we don't know much about the pond itself.

Good luck!

Do you have pics of the pond?

12. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

[​IMG]

This is just a little cove:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultimately it's not my decision anyway. My husband is working with a few other homeowners on it, to make it a more lively fishing area, and I have no input on it. This is probably more of a wildlife and forestry thing, since I know it's vastly different from even the largest of our aquariums. I just didn't know if anyone had any actual experience with this sort of thing.

13. APierce

I don't think you'll have any problems as long as he is stocking things that are already in the pond/lake. I know that our state does stock some thing in the spring time to help out with the populations of fish, etc. So, it isn't like people don't do this sort of thing :)

14. Al913

Oh, yeah so as long as you have the analytics and I guess everyone agrees then its a good thing. These are native fish so you shouldn't have a problem...I believe

Yeah, this is more for an ecologist

15. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't add more bass in there. When you see too many small ones, then it generally means there are too many competeing for food. This is exacerbated when there are no to few natural predators, as well as a catch and release mindset by many fisherman. The best way is to cull the little ones (within regs), but doubt it will help if it's just one person doing it.

16. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

Tilapia aren't native to the US - laws vary from state to state, but in most cases it is illegal to release non-natives. Play it safe and check with your state game/fish commission on what is legal to stock. They may even assist to enhance native populations.

17. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Valued Member Member

I agree on checking your local laws, contact the game commission and I'm sure they can tell you if it's ok. It could be fine, but it could also mess quite a bit up in the ecosystem. It's not a small private pond, it's large and owned by multiple people. If something goes wrong you could actually end up in legal trouble. My hometown stocked all it's lakes and large ponds every spring, followed by a huge fishing tournament. They probably won't care if you stock. But they might advise for or against certain species.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice