Large mouth bass

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was out for a walk in the park the other day when these fish were pointed out to me in the water. They are large mouth bass .. the 1st one is a gravid female looking for a place to lay andthe 2nd one is a male guarding a nest where the Momma wanted to lay... he just kept chasing her away... poor girl . The female was huge!!! The man that pointed them out said she looked like a 10 pounder.. I have no idea... she didn't look THAT big to me... about 18 inches or so...lol the male was smaller at about 16 inches or so.

Last edited:

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you ....These were in the mouth of a shallow channel connecting to a huge and very deep old rock quarry.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ah I absolutely love this time of year for bass fishing, those are some great shots! Its hard to tell the size just looking at them in the water, they always seem bigger underwater and in stories :whistling:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cool fish.

Goldwing, your LFS may be able to order them. A couple of local places up here have game fish suppliers. Not sure if they get a few from the DNR breeding programs or from private breeders, but they're available, they're captive-bred, and they're legal.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll need to check in to that SDS. Last i heard here in Illinois had a $1000.00 a fish fine.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh, definitely. If you get caught transporting live game fish in MN, you could end up losing your fishing gear and get hit with a stiff fine.
However, you can also get permits to take live fish (a member of our aquarium society gets a permit to take darters every year. It's a big thing, and everybody who takes part gets a share of the little guys), and fish that are bred in captivity do not carry the fine, as I understand it. If you were caught transporting the fish, you'd have to explain, and possibly show, that you were intending to keep the fish in an aquarium and not try to stock your local waterways with it. Of course, each state does things a bit different, so I can't be sure that Illinois has the same rules.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Sirdarksol, In most states special permits are reqired to keep most "game animals", wild fish, songbirds and raptors.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom