Large-growing Plant In A Small Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Hipsterkipster, May 17, 2018.

1. HipsterkipsterNew MemberMember

What happens to a large-growing plant if it was forced to grow in a small tank?

Background:
    My friend wants a king betta fish, so I'm making sure she's using my unused five gallon instead of her glass bowl. I don't have a lot of experience/knowledge with plants (thanks, cichlids), but I know plants will definitely cushion a beginner who's busy with a part time job and college.
    I'm unsure about buying plants online, but the plants sold nearby generally have a requirement of 10 gallons or need CO2.

Plant/Tank Parameters:
    • 5 Gallon Tank
    • Dirted* + Gravel
    • Low tech, low light
    • +80F Temp (for the betta)
    *Many plants sold nearby need to be rooted. I'll most likely try to establish them dry if I have no other options.

Concerns:
    What do I look for when buying plants online? 2-Day shipping like from Amazon? "Snail-free" signs?
    Java Moss sounds pleasant, but I can't find any in stores. Anacharis (if they can withstand 80F) is sold nearby but is snail-infested.

Would the plant survive in a smaller container? Would something like an Amazon Sword stop short at the water surface? Would a betta fish be alright with a large plant?
    Vallisnera looks pretty, but I'd rather make sure the betta fish has space to breathe or enough water surface for gas exchange.

Any suggestions/advice (plant-wise or other) would be great! Thank you.

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

It depends on the plant itself. Some will become much too big amd some you can just prune more often.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice