Large-growing Plant In A Small Tank? Question

1. H

Hipsterkipster New Member Member

What happens to a large-growing plant if it was forced to grow in a small tank?

Background:
    My friend wants a king betta fish, so I'm making sure she's using my unused five gallon instead of her glass bowl. I don't have a lot of experience/knowledge with plants (thanks, cichlids), but I know plants will definitely cushion a beginner who's busy with a part time job and college.
    I'm unsure about buying plants online, but the plants sold nearby generally have a requirement of 10 gallons or need CO2.

Plant/Tank Parameters:
    • 5 Gallon Tank
    • Dirted* + Gravel
    • Low tech, low light
    • +80F Temp (for the betta)
    *Many plants sold nearby need to be rooted. I'll most likely try to establish them dry if I have no other options.

Concerns:
    What do I look for when buying plants online? 2-Day shipping like from Amazon? "Snail-free" signs?
    Java Moss sounds pleasant, but I can't find any in stores. Anacharis (if they can withstand 80F) is sold nearby but is snail-infested.

Would the plant survive in a smaller container? Would something like an Amazon Sword stop short at the water surface? Would a betta fish be alright with a large plant?
    Vallisnera looks pretty, but I'd rather make sure the betta fish has space to breathe or enough water surface for gas exchange.

Any suggestions/advice (plant-wise or other) would be great! Thank you.

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on the plant itself. Some will become much too big amd some you can just prune more often.