Large GOLDFISH Question

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by MMJ, Dec 11, 2012.

1. M

MMJ Valued Member Member

Hey Friends,

I recently saw this video of a large goldfish. The video says this fish measure 1ft 7"

[video=youtube;CQ71xcOX_qA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ71xcOX_qA[/video]

What can make a goldfish grow so big
    and is it possible for a goldfish to grow to this size in a 50 gallon long tank
    Should I feed it special fishfood

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

A 50g tank would be too small to house a 19" fish. The tank dimensions of a 50g are 36x18x19. The fish would not have enough room to turn around.

Goldfish can live a very long time if cared for properly. Twenty plus years.

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    M

MMJ Valued Member Member

@aquarist48 I actually wanted to know what I can do to make my goldfish grow so big

If I should provide any special food

I have gold fish of 4" size only.. ;)

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Being in too small of an aquarium will stunt it. Your fish will not grow to a good size in a tank that is not. You'll need a good 6' long x 3' wide to make it large like that. Some varieties of goldish never do get huge (and keep in mind that's the world's biggest.) Good food for goldfish would be the New Life Spectrum Goldfish formula if you can find it.

Common goldfish and ones of similar size really should be in ponds. Tanks are usually much too small; unless the tank is HUGE, it will eventually make the fish sick.

The biggest thing toward the health (and therefore eventual size) of any fish is to cycle your tank properly.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    M

MMJ Valued Member Member

Okay, So what is the approximate size I can expect in tank of 42x15x18 size

6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank is only 3 and a half feet long. Depending on the type of goldfish you have, it will either live OK though a little cramped, or it could go as far as to die a VERY premature death (mainly from the effects of stunting and insufficient exercise.) Please find a more suitable species to keep!

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

I do not think anyone will be able to tell you the size that your fish are going to grow to in a particular tank. The common Goldfish can obviously reach at least 19"s and a home should be provided to accommodate this size of a fish. :)

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice