Large Freshwater Isopod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Aztek

Reaction score
Hello,
I was talking to a friend and was going to help him restart his freshwater tank (he says it’s a 20-30 gallon tank). It is going to be a semi-tropical freshwater tank with peaceful occupants, gravel substrate, and several plants. He posed an interesting question: “Can I have a freshwater isopod?” I did some research and only found tiny ones. Are there any that are an inch or bigger? If so, are they a fine addition to the tank?
Thank you,
Mr. Aztek

Oh, and where do I find them if they exist?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Scuds get about a half an inch, i have them in one of my shrimp tanks and they are used to feed larger fish (my angels are hilarious chasing these half inch bugs through the tank to eat them, they enjoy the hunt and will stalk them over the sand until they catch them). I cannot think of any isopods that would grow large enough to be entertained by, you would like have to go with inverts like listed above for visible enjoyment.
Most isopods would be considered food by fish that can fit them in their mouth (you run into this issue with neocaridina shrimp as well).

C_Willie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vampire/viper shrimp would be a good choice. Contrary to their name they are very peaceful. And since they are shrimp not crayfish they don't have large pincers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom