Large driftwood in 8 gallon cloudy water

HarlaJean

I recently exchanged some small spidewood for a larger manzanita in my 8 gal betta tank. It has begun the white gelatin jelly mold process and that's all fine and dandy but the mold is making my tank SO cloudy. I added a nerite snail to help out but my 25% water changes weekly don't seem to help. Would it be OK to do a little more water changes during the week at say 10-15% every other day just to get this cleared up a bit? I know it's harmless but boy the cloudy tank is ugly...

Flyfisha

Yes you can change water often.
The betta would be happy if you change up to but no more than 50% at one time. Changing 25 % is ok with just one fish and a snail in the 8 gallon. You can change a small amount of water every day no problem.

When growing out fry in tanks it is common for me to change 45% of the water three times a week.

Our bacteria in our tanks live on all hard surfaces in the tank. Mostly on the filter but also on the glass wood rocks and ornaments. Don’t clean every hard surface at one time, It’s best not to clean more than one thing per week but you can change a little water almost as often as you like.
Replacing with temperature matched conditioned water of course.

HarlaJean

The betta would be happy if you change up to but no more than 50% at one time. Changing 25 % is ok with just one fish and a snail in the 8 gallon. You can change a small amount of water every day no problem.

When growing out fry in tanks it is common for me to change 45% of the water three times a week.

Our bacteria in our tanks live on all hard surfaces in the tank. Mostly on the filter but also on the glass wood rocks and ornaments. Don’t clean every hard surface at one time, It’s best not to clean more than one thing per week but you can change a little water almost as often as you like.
Perfect thank you so much for letting me know. And yes I was thinking to just replace the water and not vaccume and scrape everything every time.
I appreciate you getting back to me so swiftly

HarlaJean

Also,are you saying I should go ahead and do 50% water changes a week for my betta?

Flyfisha

With one fish and a snail in the 8 gallon it’s likely 30% - 40% water changes are enough to keep the nitrates low. Only the results of a water test after following a routine of consistently changing that volume will tell you if that is enough. Should you choose not to have a strict routine you could change more frequently. It is recommended not to change more than 50% at one time.

I can’t tell you how to keep your fish but I can say I change 45% of the water in all tanks at least once a week.

I have two marks on the outside of all my tanks. One is 40% and the other is 50% . This helps me rip out water at any time day or night.
image.jpg

HarlaJean

With one fish and a snail in the 8 gallon it’s likely 30% - 40% water changes are enough to keep the nitrates low. Only the results of a water test after following a routine of consistently changing that volume will tell you if that is enough. Should you choose not to have a strict routine you could change more frequently. It is recommended not to change more than 50% at one time.

I can’t tell you how to keep your fish but I can say I change 45% of the water in all tanks at least once a week.

I have two marks on the outside of all my tanks. One is 40% and the other is 50% . This helps me rip out water at any time day or night.
image.jpg
I very much value your opinion. Thank you! Levels have been just fine with 25% with the betta. I JUST added the snail. So maybe now that he's in there I'll do a tad more. Great idea on marking the tank ;)
Also, I'd love to see how u have that potho hooked into your aquarium!

Flyfisha

I have multiple tanks with pothos in them and tried many different ways to have them sitting on the edge with just the roots in water .

The lounge tank has a short length of PVC pipe with a cut out that sides down the glass.

C522ADA0-4AF8-4536-A64B-8B4B8A93E413.jpegThat’s fine if you can cut a round hole in the lid? About 6 cuttings and an air line.

Other tanks have just the vine attached to something outside with the roots going into a small gap.

If you have room for twenty cuttings in one tank a row of plastic pots can fill all the way across.

B29E724C-397A-421E-98A4-4683C369DE50.jpeg
These are one way to get fancy! Or have a complete row?
image.jpg

HarlaJean

I have multiple tanks with pothos in them and tried many different ways to have them sitting on the edge with just the roots in water .

The lounge tank has a short length of PVC pipe with a cut out that sides down the glass.

C522ADA0-4AF8-4536-A64B-8B4B8A93E413.jpegThat’s fine if you can cut a round hole in the lid? About 6 cuttings and an air line.

Other tanks have just the vine attached to something outside with the roots going into a small gap.

If you have room for twenty cuttings in one tank a row of plastic pots can fill all the way across.

B29E724C-397A-421E-98A4-4683C369DE50.jpeg
These are one way to get fancy! Or have a complete row?
image.jpg
Oh I love it! Thanks. I have lots of pothos around my house already in water that need new homes. Should I do an allum soak first? Or just a rinse

Flyfisha

I have never used allum to soak anything. I don’t know if that is fish safe? Perhaps you rinse the allum off anyway? I am not sure what you are wanting to remove anyway?

I have put cuttings in water many times myself. It was not until I watched this guy take cuttings that I got fast growth. It’s worth watching even if you are an advanced gardener?

edit to add

The plastic pots in previous pictures have gravel in them to hold the root in place.

HarlaJean

I have never used allum to soak anything. I don’t know if that is fish safe? Perhaps you rinse the allum off anyway? I am not sure what you are wanting to remove anyway?

I have put cuttings in water many times myself. It was not until I watched this guy take cuttings that I got fast growth. It’s worth watching even if you are an advanced gardener?

edit to add

The plastic pots in previous pictures have gravel in them to hold the root in place.
Yes I use it with new plants before they go in my aquariums. 24hr soak. Rinse and short soak in water with prime then into the tank. Gets any bugs/eggs off.
I've been propagating plants for years and I always do a single stem. Glad I watched this video. Smaller cutting with 2 water absorbing points! Genius.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
TheNewguy89
Replies
Views
Crunchy
  • Question
Replies