Large Bodied Betta ?

GlamCrab
my ‘older’ betta male (dint have him for a full year yet. But its comming) has a strange body shape compared to the other- he is not obviously bloated or anything.. his body just looks.. thick.

9B79CD79-2B1A-4D91-B347-D2117CDE0A3E.jpeg

Maybe he just has a full belly but from the top his shape is fine no big belly or anything. He also acts normal, swims across the aquarium, comes over to me and stares, looks for more food etc. I also saw him poop.

I'm not that worried about him but I thought i’d ask just to be 100% sure he is just a large bodied betta

AZrodeo92
I would say yes, he us just thick. I have s couple that are the same

20180218_124012.jpg
20180218_122806.jpg

20180218_124012.jpg
20180218_122806.jpg

AZrodeo92
Thanjs. He is my king. His gf is not interested in breeding at all... I have some large bodies females too.

GlamCrab
I would say yes, he us just thick. I have s couple that are the same

Thank you, that's what I hoped. He is a large betta too. Bigger body then his ‘brother’:

33BDD38B-2AF7-48FE-8A6B-C2B7D13AAA4B.jpeg
Its the difference in their body shape that confused me

AZrodeo92
They might be part king

But he kinda reminds me of a plakat

GlamCrab
But he kinda reminds me of a plakat

Bought him as a koi plakat. So you aren't wrong.. he might just be on the larger side

AZrodeo92
Plakat are larger. They are often mixed with king and giants

GlamCrab
Plakat are larger. They are often mixed with king and giants

Nice, dint know that. Its interresting

Mcasella
All bettas as they age get thicker, specially males, I have a new to me female that is nearly three inches (pretty koi with black and white on cellophane), she is pretty chunky and it is just muscled body not eggs.
Plakat literally means short finned, they can be mixed with giant or king (which is already a mix of giant and normal), but most often they only can get up to three inches, while a true giant can reach an impressive 5 inches in length, the king betta normally don't get more than four inches.
Kings are plakat, because they are short finned. It just depends, most pet store betta are mutts anyway (genetics), it don't make them less pretty though.

GlamCrab
All bettas as they age get thicker, specially males, I have a new to me female that is nearly three inches (pretty koi with black and white on cellophane), she is pretty chunky and it is just muscled body not eggs.
Plakat literally means short finned, they can be mixed with giant or king (which is already a mix of giant and normal), but most often they only can get up to three inches, while a true giant can reach an impressive 5 inches in length, the king betta normally don't get more than four inches.
Kings are plakat, because they are short finned. It just depends, most pet store betta are mutts anyway (genetics), it don't make them less pretty though.

Thought age might be a part of it, this is the first betta I cared for properly- because now I know what I'm doing. Its probably why I never got to see this before. My dad keeps saying he is large- he kinda convinced me he was, guess he is just average then. My dad probably just never saw a full grown betta before so he finds him large.

Hubble Tea
my ‘older’ betta male (dint have him for a full year yet. But its comming) has a strange body shape compared to the other- he is not obviously bloated or anything.. his body just looks.. thick.

View attachment 411039

Maybe he just has a full belly but from the top his shape is fine no big belly or anything. He also acts normal, swims across the aquarium, comes over to me and stares, looks for more food etc. I also saw him poop.

I'm not that worried about him but I thought i’d ask just to be 100% sure he is just a large bodied betta
Some bettas are just thicc like that. One of my bettas is shaped like a rectable with a head and belly and the other one is shaped like yours! Thicc. I heard bettas with thicc bodies are healthier, and usually more aggressive, but that's more of a stereotype than a fact lol

GlamCrab
Some bettas are just thicc like that. One of my bettas is shaped like a rectable with a head and belly and the other one is shaped like yours! Thicc. I heard bettas with thicc bodies are healthier, and usually more aggressive, but that's more of a stereotype than a fact lol

He is very healthy, but not aggresive. After my wild betta died I moved him to the community tank (23 gallon, long) and he is fine there he has a lot to explore. He is chill to everyone, he is too bust looking for food and exploring plants to be mean. He is always doing something when I see him. He has been there for months

Tho I do blame him for eating corydoras eggs as I only find small amounts of them. <.<

Hubble Tea
My betta fits that stereotype perfectly >_< healthy as heck and extremely aggressive. He attacks snails, duckweed, gravel, snail EGGS, so pretty much everything that isn't flat lol.

GlamCrab
My betta fits that stereotype perfectly >_< healthy as heck and extremely aggressive. He attacks snails, duckweed, gravel, snail EGGS, so pretty much everything that isn't flat lol.

Wow, when I first got him he would try to fight my fingers.. ever since he moved to the community he doesn't bother.

He likes to see what I'm doing so he often photobombs me lol

D9B4A4B9-54CC-461F-86D5-3B481D58104F.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Top Bottom