Large Betta Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Klokow, Apr 16, 2019.

1. KlokowNew MemberMember

Hi people! Hope you are all doing well! I am new to Fishlore so if I missed a similar thread, sorry for that.

I love Bettas and I was wondering if it would work setting up a 29 gallon community tank with a Betta?

I did some research and found a few good tank mates that can live with a Betta. I am fully aware that a Betta can live alone but i do not have the space to keep two tanks running for a longer period of time.

So I thought of setting up a planted community tank with my current male Betta with the following:

4 Peppered Cory Catfish
    2 Kuhli Loaches
    10 Neon Tetra
    Some Galaxy Rasbora
    And a few snails (i was thinking mystery snails)

I already have a few Cory catfish with my betta in my current tank and he is not bothered at all by them.

Thank you for any response!

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Go for it, all I'd change is getting Nerite snails instead of the mystery snails. Mystery's are really messy

3. KlokowNew MemberMember

Thank you for your reply! I just did some reading up on them and they look like a better option than mystery's.

4. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

hi, welcome to fishlore!

if your betta is already fine with those cories, i imagine that it would be alright to have him in a community environment. but always be ready to move him back if he snaps!

5. KlokowNew MemberMember

Thank you for the advice! I was also thinking of keeping my smaller 8 gallon running to put him back if he shows any sign of aggresion

6. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Just wanted to chime in and say that kuhli loaches should be kept in larger groups, typically 6+ is recommended. They're shy little fish, but get a bit more adventurous in groups and are great fun to watch

Also, if you don't want to keep the 8 gallon running in case of aggression, you could always run two filters on the community tank and move one to the 8 gallon if you need to separate him. Sponge filters are perfect for this purpose. That way by adding a cycled filter to the 8 gallon, his new tank is completely cycled and you don't need to worry about maintaining the cycle on the empty 8 gallon in the mean time

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
  7. KlokowNew MemberMember

Thanks for your reply! I didnt take this into consideration, thanks for the advice

That is a great idea, thank you!

I was maybe thinking of leaving out the Kuhli loaches and also make the tetra and rasbora groups a bit smaller. What do you guys think would be a good tank size for this kind of project?

8. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't do peppered cories with a betta, only because they don't tolerate warmer temperatures the best, neither do neons and they can also be quite nippy.

I know a lot of people are going to tell you that neons are fine, and a lot of people that won't, but from my previous experience of reading many previous threads from other members, the tetras have nipped their bettas.
    The kuhli loaches and rasboras are fine, but I would preferably stick to one large school of bottom dwellers, and a decent sized school of middle to top dwelling fish.

9. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

on the snails part keep in mind that although nerite snails do not reproduce in freshwater they will lay eggs everywhere! and those eggs are hard to take off from decorations, subtraste etc... some people dont mind, i personally hate it lol they are all over my tank. So something to keep in mind.

10. KlokowNew MemberMember

Thanks for your reply! Today decided against building a large betta community tank, and i am going to seek other builds.

I already have a tank with a betta and a few cory. I added them before i did major research, my mistake... But they seem to be doing fine.

Thank you very much, i will keep that in mind. I did not consider this and im glad you told me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2019