Large Aquarium Rocks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by kymmy1, Aug 2, 2017.

1. k

kymmy1 New Member Member

Hi I'd like to buy some large aquarium rocks that I can either chisel into wanted shape or find something similar.

Does anyone know where I can buy these? I can't seems to find any large enough?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I think your best bet would be dragon/ohko stone. It's the only type of stone I can think of that can be chiseled and shaped with a bit of elbow grease. I think anything else would be a bit too hard.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Nigel95

Nigel95 Valued Member Member

What do you mean with large? Relative large pieces of dragon / ohko are rare. Atleast in my country.

4. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

What country are you in? Do you have garden supply stores? Around here you can get everything from gravel to boulders so large it takes a crane to move at some. I'd suggest you'd be better off finding a stone of the right size rather than trying to chisel you own, unless you have access to seriously powerful power tools. And make sure you've got a deep substrate to help cushion and distribute the load.

5. OP
    OP
    k

kymmy1 New Member Member

Australia I think maybe I'm over thinking the tank hey. A few garden supples but I think I'd have to go to a proper landscape business

30cm x 30cm for example

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  6. Nigel95

Nigel95 Valued Member Member

Impossible to find in my country but maybe yours will be different. Best I can find and expensive is about 15x25.

Also with stones like seiryu, ohko / dragon stone?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  7. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I can't say I've seen large pieces of dragon stone at garden supply stores locally, but the real stores, in other words those not associated with large corporate retailers, often have an interesting mix of rock- colors, textures, etc. to separate themselves from the guys who only have three sizes of gravel in red, white, or black.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice