Large Ammonia Spike!!! (cycled Tank)

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So 3 days ago I did another 50% water change. I did not do a water test right after as I figured it would be biased right after a water change. So, I waited 3 days (today) to test my water. This is when I saw my ammonia spike up to 1.0 ppm! Here is a list of my tank stuff:

Tank size: 75 gallon

Stocking:
1 angelfish
10 cardinal tetras
4 dwarf gourami
1 Blue phantom pleco
2 German Blue Rams

Weekly water change:
50% water change with gravel vac and cleaning of tank filter cartridge with tank water.

Tank parameters (last week):
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Tank parameters (this week):
Ammonia: 1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

Substrate:
Large sized (rocks ranging from 1 cm to 1.5 inches, other than decor rocks)

Feeding:
feed in the morning and night, fish eat most of the food some of the food goes under rocks. Also, I drop one algae wafer per day, pleco only eats some of it until most of it falls under rocks.

All of my fish are alive so I do not think the source of the problem is a dead fish. I believe my tank was cycled due to last weeks readings and the week before that being the same. I did not add anymore fish recently. As of now I added ammonia neutralizer in order to keep my fish less stressed. I do not plan to do a water change right now, unless someone can confirm that is a good idea, considering I got the spike after the water change. Hopefully someone can figure this out.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
How many of those fish did you add at once? Also, what is your filtration in gallons per hour?

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How many of those fish did you add at once? Also, what is your filtration in gallons per hour?
filtration is 400 gph for a HOB. I was told in a post prior about my filtration that my gph is fine with my water changes, however, that I am under powered. I added my fish in groups of 3-4 around 1 week intervals. I haven't added anymore fish since last week (4 dwarf gouramis last week)

Have you tested your source water? Are all of the tank's inhabitants accounted for?
I have not tested my source water, however, I can't fathom why my source water would have high ammonia considering that it is toxic to humans as well and should not belong in water made for drinking. Also my source (sink) hasn't had problems before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Water "shouldn't" have a lot of things in it but in small amounts it's not all that dangerous for large creatures like us to drink. It can burn the delicate fill tissue of fish that live in it though so it's super important for them.

Ammonia (or nitrite or nitrate) spikes just happen, especially in certain areas. Farming country especially.

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Water "shouldn't" have a lot of things in it but in small amounts it's not all that dangerous for large creatures like us to drink. It can burn the delicate fill tissue of fish that live in it though so it's super important for them.

Ammonia (or nitrite or nitrate) spikes just happen, especially in certain areas. Farming country especially.
I live in New York, so probably my water is fine. I'll do a check right now and report the ammonia.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
filtration is 400 gph for a HOB. I was told in a post prior about my filtration that my gph is fine with my water changes, however, that I am under powered. I added my fish in groups of 3-4 around 1 week intervals. I haven't added anymore fish since last week (4 dwarf gouramis last week)
With a tank your size and your stock, which seems to be primarily carnivores that produce quite a bit of waste, you should aim for 750-1000gph if possible. You could add on another HOB or an inexpensive canister like the Sunsun 304b. Your ammonia issue is most likely just too much waste and uneaten food for the filter to handle.

Also, I don't know how planted your tank is, but any amount of live plants is going to help water quality.

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With a tank your size and your stock, which seems to be primarily carnivores that produce quite a bit of waste, you should aim for 750-1000gph if possible. You could add on another HOB or an inexpensive canister like the Sunsun 304b. Your ammonia issue is most likely just too much waste and uneaten food for the filter to handle.

Also, I don't know how planted your tank is, but any amount of live plants is going to help water quality.
no live plants, but thanks for the info.

New York is a big state.
lol, yeah I live in the city area. Ammonia is 0

I probably won't add a canister as I used up all my budget for the tank, probably will be a future upgrade not an immediate one. As of now do you think I need to do daily water changes or maybe twice a week or am I fine for now until I get an upgrade.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I probably won't add a canister as I used up all my budget for the tank, probably will be a future upgrade not an immediate one. As of now do you think I need to do daily water changes or maybe twice a week or am I fine for now until I get an upgrade.
Yeah, upping your water changes per week should help quite a bit. Every Tuesday and Saturday, for example, of 50% or more.

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, upping your water changes per week should help quite a bit. Every Tuesday and Saturday, for example, of 50% or more.
alright thanks for the help, that's probably what I'll be doing for now

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could also make a DIY filter, lots of good ideas online! The media can be as simple as plastic pot scrubbers and then when/if you invest in a canister you can just move the media over with its load of bacteria

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can get a cheap foam filter on Amazon for about $5 or I think a set of 3 or 4 for $14.
would really appreciate a link! Also, how many foram filters would I need to bring myself up to 750 gph? Considering i have 400 gph, I would need 350 gph worth of foam filters.

JRS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
or search for
Aquapapa 4x Dual Bio Sponge Filter for Betta Fry Aquarium Fish Tank - four pack
Here is the set of 4 for 12.65 Let me know if it doesn't work. They don't list the gph on them. I do have one and it seems to have a quite a bit of flow. I have never tested it. Might depend on the air pump you are using with them.

Here is the single one for 4.57

or search for
XY-2831 Air Pump Sponge Filter for Aquarium, Tank Size 10-gallon - single one

By any chance do you have a power head? I saw a DIY filter with a powerhead, a tupperware container and filter media.

I can't seem to make links that work so this is the title on youtube -
DIY internal power filter for Aquariums
Pradeep Shettigar

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom