Large African not eating.

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys, I was given a 15cm African cichlid (not sure of the specie). It's between 2-3 weeks now and I haven't seen him eat. He looks like he is attempting to eat but I think the 1mm pellets are too small. Ive tried 3mm floating pellets and frozen blocks of food on the substrate but it seems like he has no idea where the food are. I try to hand feed him a long tweezer but he is a bit of a whimp. He is not sick or anything. He is very healthy and active so I initially thought he was blind but it seems he watches everything I do which is creepy lol. He is obviously an old fish and not used to me so what can I do? Any ideas? I don't have the contact of the person I got him from. Thanks.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depending on what kind of cichlid it is, it could be vegetarian in which it wouldnt have any interest in meaty foods. Maybe you can get a picture of the fish and someone can identify it for you and we can go from there on getting it to eat.

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've tried vege and nls cichlids in pellet and flake but I don't think its the diet.
It's the big guy on the left. It could possibly be a Taiwan reef.

IMG_2844.jpg

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Turns out this big guy is partially blind. I've only recently noticed that he swims into the glass and only barely sees frozen peas I've dropped in there.
I don't want to euthanise him but he is wasting away. Any ideas?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom