Large (16”) Plecostomus - what to feed and how much?

music323

Hey all,

very new to these forums. I’m a saltwater guy that has come upon some fresh water fish. My wife and I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with feeder goldfish thatgrew to about 6-8” that she loves. About 6 in that tank. (We have a load saltwater tanks… about 750gallons worth.) a client, I Re-seal tanks, makecustom tanks, etc) brought me a 40 gallon breeder to repair and 4 plecostomus that range from 12”-17” that he needed to Re home right then. This was last night. We put them with the goldfish all seem to tolerate one another for the moment. Put about 12 regular wafers (algae) in with them and they decoured them. Today none stop searching for food. So thinking maybehave been starved or is this normal? I am reasearching freshwater as fast as I can but do not want them to suffer whileI go through learning curve. Whaff if do I fed large plecostomus? How often and how much? Obviously more than 12 waffles. Lol FYI I would like to sell 2 of these. Someone can have pick of the four. Already learned multiple in tank notgood. We have been playing with idea of a 90 gallon we have in storage for another fresh water. This made it happen I guess.

thank you for any and all help on this. I honestly do not have much of a clue about freshwater fish. Willing to swap ideas on saltwater if anyone has a need as well.

thanks
Jai

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 29

BigManAquatics

I would definitely set up that 90-if not bigger-for those guys!! As far as how much to feed....well, plecos do tend to be food hoovers....i would probably shoot for 3-5 wafers per fish at that size. Imagine they probably eat any of the goldfish food that the goldfish miss as well.

Upvote 0

music323

Thank you very much for the info. We fed them 4 each tonight before reading this. Lol it seems they prefer the koi pellets. I didn’t mention he dropped off a koi at same time. I think, but really don’t know, they were kept in a 125 with nothing but water and the koi for a long long time. Hopefully I can re-home a cpl and and put the other two in the 90 in next day or two.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Cobalt alge grazers are a good pellet the can return to for an hour or so. But if you already have an algae wafer, look for an omnivore waffer for variety. Also you can take veggies, steamed, blanched, and raw, and feed those you can spear it onto a spoon handle and drop it in the tank.
Cucumber, zucchini, ochra, yam, carrot, squash, and kale are good ones to try. I often leave the food for a few hours before removing the leftovers.

You may want to keep the plecos in a separate tank from the goldfish. as pleco may decide to eat the slime coating from the sides of the fish. And the pleco like warmer temperatures then goldfish.

Upvote 0

music323

Thank you for responding! I am working to get this 90 gallon up and running now hoping by tonight to separate them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
TheeLadyG