Land Plant ID Help?

1. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure where to put this since this is a land-based plant, but I figure General is as good a place as any. I seem to recall at least one of you here is a plant buff so I hope you guys can help me with this.

I found this neat-looking clover out in the woods behind one of my old childhood homes while I was helping my mother dig up plants and shrubs from her own mother (my grandmother) since the house is closing on a sale this Friday. My mother wanted to get her plants out before then.

Anyway, I noticed that this patch of clover seemed to be growing from rotten wood that had decomposed or what was left after termites were done with it. So I don't know if it's a NC native plant or not. I also dug up two separate species of ferns but I don't have photos of them yet. I'll get photos tomorrow.

The purple is much more striking in person on the clovers and the underside is completely purple. I saw one that was close but doesn't quite match, called a Spanish moss clover, I think. I haven't been able to ID it.

[​IMG]

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Zeez,

Beautiful clover, not sure of the type.

Try searching under Shamrock or Shamrock Variegated and see what turns up. I have a plant called Purple Shamrock (looks like clover) and it's beautiful in the summer, blooms pink and the leaves are a very deep purple but no green.

Ken

3. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I thought shamrock was the same as clover except larger and taller? I wouldn't mind shamrock... I'm part Irish, after all.

Here are pics of the other two ferns. Note one has a fuzzy stem. At first I thought they were spikes then I realized it was just fuzz. Pretty cool. :) I can't seem to find the IDs for either. There's the Resurrection Fern but that doesn't match what I have here. -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

The clover is called "dark dancer".

Top picture might be christmas fern. The last picture might be a common lady fern.