Land Plant ID Help?

1. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure where to put this since this is a land-based plant, but I figure General is as good a place as any. I seem to recall at least one of you here is a plant buff so I hope you guys can help me with this.

I found this neat-looking clover out in the woods behind one of my old childhood homes while I was helping my mother dig up plants and shrubs from her own mother (my grandmother) since the house is closing on a sale this Friday. My mother wanted to get her plants out before then.

Anyway, I noticed that this patch of clover seemed to be growing from rotten wood that had decomposed or what was left after termites were done with it. So I don't know if it's a NC native plant or not. I also dug up two separate species of ferns but I don't have photos of them yet. I'll get photos tomorrow.

The purple is much more striking in person on the clovers and the underside is completely purple. I saw one that was close but doesn't quite match, called a Spanish moss clover, I think. I haven't been able to ID it.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Zeez,

Beautiful clover, not sure of the type.

Try searching under Shamrock or Shamrock Variegated and see what turns up. I have a plant called Purple Shamrock (looks like clover) and it's beautiful in the summer, blooms pink and the leaves are a very deep purple but no green.

3. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I thought shamrock was the same as clover except larger and taller? I wouldn't mind shamrock... I'm part Irish, after all.

Here are pics of the other two ferns. Note one has a fuzzy stem. At first I thought they were spikes then I realized it was just fuzz. Pretty cool. :) I can't seem to find the IDs for either. There's the Resurrection Fern but that doesn't match what I have here. -

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

The clover is called "dark dancer".

Top picture might be christmas fern. The last picture might be a common lady fern.