Land Hermit Crab Sand Help

Discussion in 'Hermit Crabs' started by mralph3577, Apr 24, 2019.

1. mralph3577

mralph3577New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    We recently purchased 2 hermit crabs. One is exhibiting typical behavior the other one is very lethargic(he hasn’t moved) and has lost 2 legs. I built the habitat with sand on half and coconut substrate on the other half as recommended by the pet store we purchased them from. But the sand is turning brown??? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +483
    Experience:
    Just started
    So the sand is turning brown? Or do you think it’s just the coconut substrate being moved by the carbs?

3. OP
    OP
    mralph3577

Ratings:
    +0
    It is definitely the sand is turning brown and the one crab is dead.

4. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,101
    Experience:
    3 years
    What type of sand are you using, and how exactly did you prepare it before putting it in?

5. OP
    OP
    mralph3577

Ratings:
    +0
    It’s the sand that came in a hermit crab habitat kit we got from Petsmart. I did nothing to prepare it. It was ready to use. I attached picture kit I purchased with sand I used it was called Vita-sand(Sonoran white).

Attached Files:

6. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,101
    Experience:
    3 years
    Okay, unfortunately that is calcium based sand, and it is not great once wet, as it hardens and can cement your crabs underneath. Substrate needs to be mixed to a sandcastle consistency with dechlorinated fresh or marine salt water by using Instant Ocean. It must be at least six inches deep throughout or three times as deep as your largest crab is big.

You can get a 50 pound bag of playsand at most hardware stores for under ten dollars, and it can be mixed with eco earth to retain moisture.
    Those kit tanks aren’t good, as they contain a lot of useless supplies that you won’t need to use, and the tanks aren’t very large either.

I recommend ideally one crab per ten gallons, but there can be an exception for small/micro hermit crabs. I have nine crabs in a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon topper.

7. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,528
    Experience:
    2 years
    The advice Fanatic gave is great. I would follow that. I just wanted to add that the sand is turning brown because coconut fiber leaches tannins. It’s not harmful. The sand itself is because like mentioned above, it hardens in the shell and they’re unable to come out.

Become a Fishlore Member