Lamprologus Multifasciatus

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Marijn Lange, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Marijn Lange

Marijn LangeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    Just started
    I recently set-up a fifteen gallon multi aquarium. This is the first breeding tank that I've set-up. I got the fish a week ago and they seem to do fine. They swim around, move the sand, move the shells and eat. They're still a bit shy, when I get close to the aquarium they swim off or barely move.

I have four of them, one male and three females. I added 22 shells and some rocks that higher the PH. The PH is around 7.8 (the same PH level as the store, these fish are bred at the store). The temperature is 25,5 Celsius. I feed them small pellets and frozen foods. Brine Shrimp and White Mosquito.

As this is my first time breeding fish I could use some tips and tricks. What do you guys/girls think about the set-up? Are there things that I can improve? Please let me know :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your setup looks good & functional. As long as your water parameters are consistent with that of Lake Tanganyika your Shellies should breed. I'm not into the breeding aspect of the hobby, but can advise that you'll need to seperate the fry into another tank. Otherwise most or all will be eaten. Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    Marijn Lange

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    Just started
    Alright thanks! Good to hear :)

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,073
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Actually, Multies don't generally eat their fry. They let them use the shell bed as a hiding place from other fish, as that is usually protected by the male. However, should any males mature from those fry, he will then try to chase them off.

Setup looks very good, you should have some luck in a relatively short time.

5. OP
    OP
    Marijn Lange

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    Just started
    Awesome! I’m hoping that they will breed. How long does it take the fry to mature? A couple of months?

6. OP
    OP
    Marijn Lange

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    Just started
    I just received the light that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. The light is much brighter then I expected it to be. Before I got it I used a regular lamp that shines yellow light, some people would call it a "warm light". Is it possible that the light I got it too bright? Can it bother the fish? Do they see the difference between the bright LED light and the "warm" yellow light? Which one is better for the fish?
    I[​IMG]
    [​IMG]