Lampeye Killis And Gender Ratios

marcean

Reaction score
what would you do if...

You have 10 lampeyes; 9 are male and one is female. She is showing signs of stress (breathing hard/fast..not gasping, mostly swimming in circles with tail flipping upwards). She is eating and showing interest in food, speeding up to catch it, not always successfully.

Background : First batch of killis had only one female to 4 males. The LFS ran out of them or else i would have gotten more. I found someone locally who was getting rid of 6 (one female to 5 males)- this female came looking stressed and did not survive quarantine. I do not have much room in my tank for more, and last I heard the LFS is still out.

I'd like to hear some suggestions regarding things like
a) do i move her to a different setup with other fish/not lampeyes?
b) do i keep her in this tank as she is, kicking along but not well (She's been like this for around 3 days)

I thought of asking about trading some males for females for balance if they get any more in at the LFS...but this obviously isn't an immediate solution.

Any suggestions/thoughts welcome. Thanks

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is the tank well planted? Adding some cover can help, but a small iso with a couple of males may be a good solution. Maybe consider breeding them, raising the fry and keeping some females to ease the 'aggression'.

marcean

Reaction score
Great idea, thanks.
Also wanted to update she is doing better...swimming almost normally again. I will look into moving her out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom