Lampeye Killifish Questions

1. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to be going to a really good fish shop in a couple of weeks which stocks normans lampeye killifish. Last time I went I fell in love with these fish. I've done a bit of research but there doesn't seem to be that much accurate information about them.

Here are my questions
    1) What is there temperature range and ideal temperature?

2) Minimum tank size?

3) Are they schooling or not? If not should they be kept in pairs, groups or alone?

4) Good tankmates?

5) Can they be kept with red cherry shrimp?

6) What would their ideal tank setup be like?

I will not get them if I don't have a good setup for them but it would be great if I could because it will be a few months before I can go to this shop again.

Thanks in advance

@NavigatorBlack @Piaelliott @DHIWZ You all keep these right?

2. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

1. 22-26 deg C (72-79 deg F)
    2. they are a small 4cm fish but are best in groups, treat like a similar sized tetra.
    3. Schooling!
    4. Great with other similar sized shcooling fish, tetras, corydoras. just dont get any agreesive /large cichlids etc as they will become dinner.
    5. Yep i would say so, they do have quite wide mouths so the babies may become a snack when larger grown, but I wouldnt say they are large enough to eat the adult RCS.
    6. Species only tanks do great as they can be quite timid, and love large groups. Nothing large or agressive! Dim lighting or lots of floating plant cover, they wont enjoy the direct light and bright areas.

good luck!

3. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I didn't get an alert that you tagged me but found the post nevertheless :)

One of my absolute favorite fishes!!!!!!
    The do like large schools, I have mine in a 40 gal breeder (about 90 x 45 cm) and think that is a good size. Currently I have 12 and they are a lot happier than when I only had two full grown females and 3 juveniles, they didn't hang out together and the females started picking on each other which they had never than with more company. Unfortunately, quite a few died in the beginning. I have read a lot about that happening and it is unclear why. These seem fine now.

They are very peaceful and don't bother other fishes,no fin nippers. They only show a bit of aggressive chasing when breeding but nothing that could cause harm and only with other lampeyes.

They like to lay eggs in Java fern or in floating plants, I have dwarf lettuce, hornwort, guppy grass and duckweed.
    When they are about to lay eggs, they vanish into the plants and the light (eyes) turned off, quite funny.

Mine prefer a bit of a current and enjoy swimming in the open area. They spend most of their time in the middle of the tank, unless the breed (go to top) or feed (they are not afraid to look for food on the ground).
    They eat everything and have a great appetite :)
    I wouldn't do anything shorter than 75 cm though because when they breed, males can chases females and other males around quite a bit.

They don't predate on their own eggs, adults won't predate on fry but juveniles will.
    They lay single eggs that they stick on plants (Java fern, floating plants,Hornwort), it takes two weeks for the eggs to hatch.

Mine live with peaceful keyhole cichlids, Trigonostigma espei, Kuhli loaches, BN pleco and Amano shrimp. I don't know about cherry shrimp. I assume adults would be okay, they might eat babies because they have a big appetite :)
    I find them very outgoing and fearless but like I said, they don't have enemies in the tank. IMG_20170713_194312.jpg 20170722_174704.jpg 20170708_180440.jpg

Mine live around 76 degrees, a bit warmer in the summer.

4. OP
    OP
    BottomDweller

Thanks Samuel, good information. If I get them they will probably be kept alone with just shrimp or maybe with cories.

Piaelliott Your tank and fish are beautiful! Are they easily bred? If I just had females what tank size would you recommend? It's great to hear stories from individuals who keep the fish rather than just reading through loads of profiles on websites.

Additional questions
    7) What do they eat in the wild and what should they be fed?
    8) How do you tell males from females?

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I love this fish, and just picked up a dozen wilds out of Guinea.
    It is Poropanchax normani, and is a shoaling west to central African killie. Kept on their own in a planted tank, they are easy to breed. I would start with six, and you can end up with 50 easily enough. One time I moved 50 juveniles to send to a friend, and a week later, had 100 fry in the tank.

I agree with everything above, with one exception. I have bred this fish at 18c. And at 26c. They were more prolific cooler. I keep mine at 23.

They are being mass produced in Singapore now, and the tank raised ones seem more delicate than wilds, by a huge margin. I had two good tries at groups die on me, until I found these wilds.

They have a cute cousin - P luxopthalmus. I have been after them for years, and they have begun to appear on fishfarm lists. It's like normani, but with neon blue dots on the flanks. I used to find them as mixers in Nigerian shipments, but there haven't been Nigerian fish in town for 10 years at least.

When I saw the header, that was cool. I like Bettas, but fish like this are also worth exploring.

6. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

20170205_114421.jpg
    This is an adult male. The fins are longer, they go all the way to the caudal fin. They also seem more blueish (you won't see color in a store) and some have a yellow tinge on the tips of the fins.
    I find it easiest to determine the sex by observing the behavior. The like to pose.

I don't know what they eat in the wild. In the aquarium they eat everything meaty, flakes, pellets, frozen, live.

No idea if you can get only females, but they do like to swim a lot. They use the entire tank.
    They are more active than my rasboras.

It might be difficult to feed the cories with them unless you feed food the cories can eat but would be too big for the Lampeyes to pick up.

By the time my Keyholes and Kuhlis have enough, the Lampeyes can barely swim because they are so fat!

7. OP
    OP
    BottomDweller

Thanks everyone! I will probably wait until I've got a bigger tank setup for them. I've got a spare 20 gallon I planned to use for them but after reading these posts I think they would need a bigger tank.

8. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Mine are thriving in a 20 gallon. With indirect lighting in places, a dark background and no heater, they look fantastic.