Lake Tanganyika? 75 Gallon Tank

1. fishtang Initiate Member

I have acquired a 75 gallon tank and am in the process of finding all the equipment to get it set up. In the mean time I have not been able to find a decent stock list for such a set-up. Ideally I want to include shell dwellers, rock/cave dwellers, and possible some open water stuff. Curious what some people would do given this circumstances. Also any side notes on aquascaping the rocks and shells in this tank would be nice. Thanks!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Fishtang and Welcome to Fish Lore. When you have the chance if you would be so kind as to fill out the aquarium information in your profile it will be a great help to others. At the top of this screen, click on "My Settings" then in the drop down box click on "Edit Aquarium Info".
    Here is a link to
    The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
    The above information is crucial to fish keeping. If you are already aware of it, even better.
    I'll let others give you ideas on stocking and aquascaping.
    Hope you enjoy the site. We love photos around here! :)
    Ken

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

4. Toddnbecka Member Member

I'd recommend a trio (1m/2f) of Lamprologus multifasciatus for shellies with a dozen or more shells in the middle of the tank. They're the easiest to get along with overall, and over time will form a nice colony.
    Rockpiles on each end, and there are many different fish that would work there. Julies, calvus, comp's, buescheri, even Paracyp's would be good.
    For open-water I'd go with a group of dwarf neon rainbows. Most of the Cyprichromis species would simply be too crowded in a 4' tank, same with the Tang killies. The open-water fish really do best with good bit of open water.

5. fishtang Initiate Member

My next question would then be what be be the most compatible choices for a community of shell dwellers and cave dwellers, and how many of each could a 75 house in terms of allowing proper territories to be set up? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I really want to make this tank count and I can't find much on Tanganyika compatibility.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Not dumb questions at all and good for you for asking them before you get fish :)
    Lamprologus multifasciatus (Multis) will probably be the easiest to find and are by far the most hardy in my opinion. I have mine in a mych smaller tank but I really like them.
    Harpua 2002 has a beautiful set-up.
    Here are some examples of shellie setups http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php/topic,13.0.html you may have to register to see pics I don't know.
    With a tank that size the options are endless :)
    carol

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi fishtang, welcome to FL. Don't worry about dumb questions or too many of them. Believe me, I've asked dumber ones ;) lol... seriously, if you have the question, someone else probably does too.

8. Toddnbecka Member Member

Multi's are the easiest shellies to get along with overall. The larger species are more difficult to pair up and won't guard their fry after they're free-swimming. If they don't eat their own fry the other fish likely will. Substrate spawners like Julies, calvus, etc. are pair-bonding fish. Best to start with a group of each, then move out the extras after you have an established breeding pair. Paracyp's and J. transcriptus are probably the least aggressive species in general, Paracyp's would work as a group (2m/3-4f) rather than a single pair. Calvus or comp's are peaceful, even shy, but they are fry predators.
    I'd avoid leleupi, sexifasciatus, V. moorii, or any of the brichardi complex species.