40 Gallon Tank [Lake Tanganyika Tank ]What should fill up the top? (Fish and decor/plants suggestions please)

SomyaValecha

Hi everyone, could anyone give me suggestions on colorful/unique Lake Tanganyika fish that swim at the top of the tank? Any decorations/plants (other than floaters) would also be appreciated, I really just want to fill up and use the top of the tank.
This is my stock:
-4 julidochromus regini (1.5 inch)
-2 calvus (1 inch)
-Currently waiting for availability, but 2-8 shell dwellers (enough to guarantee a pair and start a good community).
1600821493683.png
1600821636373.png

Attachments

Nataku

You're already fully stocked for a lake Tang tank at this size.
Build your rock work up higher, attach some plants to the rocks like java fern and anubias. Nome of these species are plant destructive so you can have a nicely planted tank with them. You'll find this will cause the calvus and the juliis to swim at higher levels in your tank around the rock work.

If you had a bigger tank, you could consider paracyprichromis nigripinnis, but they won't work out well with calvus and they still prefer a larger (longer) tank than this.

SomyaValecha

Nataku said:
You're already fully stocked for a lake Tang tank at this size.
Build your rock work up higher, attach some plants to the rocks like java fern and anubias. Nome of these species are plant destructive so you can have a nicely planted tank with them. You'll find this will cause the calvus and the juliis to swim at higher levels in your tank around the rock work.

If you had a bigger tank, you could consider paracyprichromis nigripinnis, but they won't work out well with calvus and they still prefer a larger (longer) tank
I'm not too worried about overstocking, since calvus grow really slowly and it'll probably take a couple of years for them to get to their max size. And either way, all of my fish that I will be getting swim in the lower/middle areas. I'm really looking for something that will go mostly in the middle/top area since none of my fish will go there anyways. Does paracyprichromis nigripinnis swim in the top areas? Also, I'm going to put some water wisteria near the other side of the rocks, do you think it's a good idea? Do you know any bushy type of plants that fill up an area quickly and are tall?

MacZ

I'd pile rocks on one side and place plants around / on them. The Julies and Altolamprologus will really appreciate more cover from rocks.

Nataku

Paracyprichromis nigripinnis will swim in open water but want to go back to rocks to sleep/lay eggs. But they need tall rocks/rock stacks or they too will hug the bottom where the rocks are. But then they'll be near the multies which will stress them out because paracyps are really sensitive (you're hardly going to believe these are cichlids, they are so ridiculously docile) and they tend to stress stupid easy and wither away.
Right now, you don't have enough rocks for juliis AND calvus. You really don't have enough rocks for those two AND the paracyps. I would really encourage you to heed the advice of MacZ and build up a much larger stack of rocks and plant in/on/around them.

Lilthuglet

Salvinia Natans floating fern makes for nice interest on the top with cover for fishes. My platy fish love lurking under it. You will need to thin it every now and again.

MacZ

Floating plants don't really fit with Tanganyikans, they are fine with nothing alike on top. I remember my shellies hiding whenever the frogbit floated by.

TClare

The best plan, as someone already mentioned, is to build up the rockwork. You will need more substrate and gradually build it from front to back, use rocks to create stable terraces and caves at different levels, build the back as high as you can safely.

Top Bottom