Labrador retriver plz help

crazy_deeps279

Reaction score
I am going to buy a new pup. (labrador retriver) but I am not able to find a breeder, I have seen some pups at pets stores but they are not able to show pups parents. how can I find the pup is healthy and from a pure breed.?
plz help ???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may have to register to see the selections. Petfinder.com sponsors programs to adopt unwanted animals as well as multiple spay/neuter programs. They also list reputable breeders.
Carol

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
Find a reputable veterinarian since you'll have to have one anyway when you get your new pup. Typically they can recommend local breeders. That's what we did when we got our German Shepherd. Or you can contact the AKC.

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
is a great way to adopt a Lab. Another place, which is great, has good breeders and pups is
Plus its fun to look at the pups anyway. We have bought a German shepherd, American eskimo, and we are thinking of getting another shetland sheepdog from someone who advertises from that site. We breed german shepherds, and are getting into breeding shetland sheepdogs. We love our one male that we have now, and he is so gorgeous it would be such a shame not to have a few litters of pups with him. Good luck on your search.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Third vote for Petfinder.com. There are plenty of retrievers out there that need homes and don't have them. There are over sixteen thousand homeless labrador retrievers in petfinder's network alone (this number is not exaggerated. I just checked). Breeders produce more animals (dogs and cats) than are taken home. The extras are either put to sleep or end up in animal shelters. If the piece of paper that says "Yes, this dog is a pure bred lab" is important, some of the dogs on petfinder do have them. My parents have found a pure bred cocker spaniel in the past.
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes, there are plenty of pets out there for adoption and I'm not speaking out against them. My neighbor just adopted a beautiful 7 month old black lab from a local rescue. This dog was a New Orleans rescue, but they have no history on this animal. It must be noted that many of the dogs that are rescued have little to no background or medical history and the placement networks basically try to guess a match based on your criteria. If it doesn't work out they may have a policy where they take the animal back. A while back my in-laws adopted a husky-shepherd mix as a pup from a local rescue shelter. Unbeknownst to them, the dog had epilepsy.....Which means seizures, medication and in this dog's case hyperactivity and a dislike of strangers.....Just BE CAREFUL with shelters and rescue groups and choose wisely.

In my case, I didn't want to go through that and wanted a pedegree pup with papers. IDK if that makes me some sort of snob or not, but there are pros and cons to animal adoption. It's up to you to choose which is right for you.

OP
C

crazy_deeps279

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
You may have to register to see the selections. Petfinder.com sponsors programs to adopt unwanted animals as well as multiple spay/neuter programs. They also list reputable breeders.
Carol

thanks alot. but I am from Delhi, India and I don't think they have any branch here.can u suggest me something else.
regards
Deeps

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
As I had mentioned before - try to locate a reputable veterinarian and see if they can in turn recommend a breeder. Or try to contact the AKC.

gremlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I googled animal shelters in delhi,india and found several web sites you may want to look into:

many many many pages of results. You could probably narrow it down by doing a search for specific breed/town/etc.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
Third vote for Petfinder.com. There are plenty of retrievers out there that need homes and don't have them. There are over sixteen thousand homeless labrador retrievers in petfinder's network alone (this number is not exaggerated. I just checked). Breeders produce more animals (dogs and cats) than are taken home. The extras are either put to sleep or end up in animal shelters. If the piece of paper that says "Yes, this dog is a pure bred lab" is important, some of the dogs on petfinder do have them. My parents have found a pure bred cocker spaniel in the past.
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Fourth vote - I am ADDICTED to petfinder!!!! Miley

New Threads