Label residue on water bottles - trying to make a filter flow diffuser

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by mcrousse, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mcrousse

mcrousse Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I have an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter and was trying to make a filter flow diffuser for the outflow. I have 2 water bottles I am working with, and I removed the labels to wash them out in preparation for cutting to fit the filter. How do I get this sticky label residue off the bottle, or do I not need to worry about it harming the water or fish? I have tried rubbing alcohol and fingernail polish remover so far with no luck.

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I just use the portion that has the adhesive on it as the section that wraps over the tank rim so it doesn't contact the water.

3. d

donny New Member Member

I would avoid any chemicals . Just try hot water and a clean scrubbing brush.

4. josh40996

josh40996 Valued Member Member

As said I would leave the part with the glue on on the outside of the tank. I have been able to remove almost anything with a tiny bit of WD40 and rinsing with water but I have never actually used it on anything in contact with water only ever on stuff that way come into contact with evaporation with no ill effects but I wouldn't risk using it. Maybe try using a razor blade

5. limpet102511

limpet102511 Valued Member Member

I froze a class that had a candle in it befor to take out the wax and I was also able to take off the glue with hot water and rubbing it with my thumb may work with a bottle

6. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

7. oysterstu

oysterstu New Member Member

peanut butter works on VHS boxes that had blockbuster stickers on them...not kidding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice