L144 tank size

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Today I came into possession of 4 tiny L144's about 1" long. I traded my better for 2 of them but the guy knew I had 2 tanks a 30g and a 5.5g so he gave me 4. At the moment they are obviously not to big for a 5.5g but they are only in one bag so they will all go in my 30g. I have a friend who is knew to fish keeping I was considering give 2 of them away to. However at the moment they only have a 10g tank. I've looked up the L144 but all over the place on min tank size from 10g to 30g. Can anyone clear this up?

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're referring to the blue-eyed bristlenose pleco, a 20g minimum would be best.

I hope this helps!
Yes that's what it is, thanks for the info. I didn't expect to have 4 so was unforeseen situation. I read 10g, 20g and 30g so that's a pretty big range.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What? I'm going to have to google that. Lemon bristlenose is new to me.

I'm looking forward to the googling that is about to ensue.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's one thing for the pleco to physically fit...it's another for the filtration to handle it. You might fit it in a smaller tank, but at the expense of other fish.
I understand the filtration aspect of it and I know these only get 3-4" on average 5" max so they won't outgrow the tank physically but with such a wide range on minimum tank size I wanted to clear it up.

What? I'm going to have to google that. Lemon bristlenose is new to me.

I'm looking forward to the googling that is about to ensue.
I may be mistaken but I've seen them called blue eyed, albino and lemon so I'm not sure.

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello
I would have to say L-144 are awesome!! But I know I'm partial. 30 gallons would be great for them even all 4 but I looked under your aquarium info and it looks like to me your pretty well stocked in there. I saw where you said they were little but I still would not put them in the 5 gallon. They really need good clean water and lots of room to grow. Also if they are too little they will be snack for your Angles. I wouldn't trust my Angles around my babies for sure. I also saw where you have a BN in your 30 (not yet added). L144 are a type of BN and will interbreed with other BN. They are such a pretty species and I would strongly suggest not putting them with any other BN. It looks like you have lots of bottom feeders between the shrimp, BN and now the L144's. If you don't have enough hiding spots and places they can each call their own your likely to have problems with them fighting for places. If you can get a separate tank and let them grow out you could see if you end up with a pair and that would be great!! Since they are little they need lots of good food. Be sure to have veggies in there for them at all times so they can eat through the day and night. Also some kind of good protein would be great for them too. Good luck with them they are a VERY beautiful fish!! Do you have long finned or standard finned?

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First off they didn't go in the 5 all are in the 30g. I intended to add some type of BN but this opportunity came up. I traded a betta for 2 of them but he gave me 4 because I have two tanks. They are the only pleco's currently in my tank, and already have made arrangements for someone to take two of them when they grow up a bit as I plan to add a L200 as well. For the time being with there small size and stress of moving they will enjoy the space of the tank. There several shadowed spots under my several pieces of driftwood for a pleco to lay claim and once the stock has moved around will have more spots than plecos. If necessary I do have granite rock to make a cave. They are short or standard finned whatever they are classified as. My angels are still only about a toonie size so they don't have the mouth size to eat them even at this size. These will be my only BN so they won't have the chance to interbreed with other strains. The angels don't seem to notice my other fish or my shrimp just each other. One of my rams lays claim to the area under the angels and still nothing. Though once I saw my smallest ram face off against one of the angels and the angel backed down. Was nothing more than a quick swim forward to scare it off no contact was made.

What type of veggies do they like?

Last edited:

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wafers I have, zucchini I will pick up today. Maybe it will bring them out of hiding can't see one of them this morning.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mine hide a lot, too. Usually the zucchini brings them out where I can check on them.

I had a large abn disappear over the weekend. I tore the tank apart, still couldn't find him. I dropped zucchini in the tank, within 2 hours, I could see him. I use it to check on my daughter's clown pleco as well.

My other abn's and my sailfin are easier to find.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well they are still very tiny less than an inch so it's easy to hide amongst rocks and driftwood when your that small. I see two now on the front of the tank.

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Zucchini is great, squash is a favorite of my L-144's, cucumber, spinich, even unsalted green beans are great. They also like melon. When they are full grown they are BEAUTIFUL Fish. You'll really love having them!

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do you get it to sink? I cut the end off and put it in the tank and so far it won't leave the surface.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom