60 Gallon Tank L018

Shamannite80

Do I recently got a gold nugget ports and I haven't seen him eat yet. I got it from my lfs so I'm not sure where it came from, wild or tank bred. I've tried wafers and zucchini and i covered the tank top let him relax. Any other suggestions? I would hate to loose him he is an absolutely beautiful fish and would love to keep him for years to come.

Kribensis27

Give it some time after dark to just do its thing. I once had a pleco who wouldn’t emerge once during the day, or even night if he saw me. He was like that for over 6 months. I never saw him eat during those 6 months. I usually dropped food in a few minutes before the lights went out, and the food was always still there by morning. I eventually decided to set up a camera. I saw that he usually came out to eat around midnight, patrolled the tank for a while, and then went back to sleep in his cave for the next 22 hours. He only ate a small amount of the food, so it appeared he wasn’t eating at all. Yours could be just taking small amounts of food when you don’t realize it, or could be lasting on biofilm for now. Either way, give him some time.

Shamannite80

Kribensis27 said:
Give it some time after dark to just do its thing. I once had a pleco who wouldn’t emerge once during the day, or even night if he saw me. He was like that for over 6 months. I never saw him eat during those 6 months. I usually dropped food in a few minutes before the lights went out, and the food was always still there by morning. I eventually decided to set up a camera. I saw that he usually came out to eat around midnight, patrolled the tank for a while, and then went back to sleep in his cave for the next 22 hours. He only ate a small amount of the food, so it appeared he wasn’t eating at all. Yours could be just taking small amounts of food when you don’t realize it, or could be lasting on biofilm for now. Either way, give him some time.
Thank you for giving me hope. He doesn't look like he moves at all though. I do need to do a water change on the tank, would that be ok with him in there? I don't want to stress him out more than necessary.

Kribensis27

Bad water quality is far more stressful than a water change. Continue your normal maintenance and let him get used to it.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom