L-144 Breeding Journal

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all,
Finally decided to get my own blog
I wanted to start this because shortly I'll be getting 6 1 1/2 inch L-144's. I figured this would be a great way to track my progress and to show others too.
I've decided that I'm going to turn my hobby into a job of sorts. I've thought long and hard about all of this and just decided to go for it..I've always heard to find what you love and make it your job so I'm going with that theory. I'll be getting my fish room soon but right now I have a tank in every room of my house..and two tanks in others. ...I haven't got them yet but they will be shipping out when I think it's warm enough for them to make the trip.( Hopefully they will fair better then the last ones.) So I will keep track of the whole process from the time I get them, growing up, pairing off and raising the fry. I'm starting this whole breeding journey slow and steady. I def don't want to get in over my head. When I get enough courage I'll move on to other fish but for right now this will be my main focus..Untill I start stocking 120 gallon that is....and that will be soon enough. I'll keep you all posted and wish me and my first little breeding babies luck!!..

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good luck with your breeding adventures I can't wait to follow your progress! Did you end up getting those peacocks last night?

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No..I didn't..that would mean commitment for that tank..lol...But I put a deadline one it so I have to make a decision soon!!..I'm really liking your first stocking idea!!..thanks again for all your help..Your a great stocker!! (that sounds too funny and kinda scary if this wasn't a fish forum)..ROFL..

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It does sound funny when you take it out of context.

I couldn't stand leaving a tank empty for that long. I have this strange compulsion.....must.....fill....tanks.....must.....get.....more.....fish

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just thought I'd give everyone a update...I'm waiting on the weather to warm up so I can have them shipped...The seller agreed to hold them for a month for me if needed...They are paid for the shipping is paid for I'm just waiting on the wonderful Kansas weather to warm up..It's honestly torture waiting...Those poor babies are just sitting there waiting for me to give the go ahead..lol....I'm hoping next week the weather will cooperate and I can get them here. I'll keep ya posted.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hope you get them soon Cesch! I know how hard it is to wait for fish. It was so hard to wait 2 weeks for my bettas from Karen, even with her posting pics and updates for me. I'm sending "warm weather vibes" your way!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cesch since we were talking about how to clean a bare bottom tank I've been trying to figure out how to send you a picture of the brush I use. Can't seem to be able to send one in Pm mode or email either. Hope you don't mind if I post it here.
It is a computer keyboard vacuum brush stuck on the end of a siphon hose. Strange enough I found it in the automotive dept at Walmarts
So here if is I vacuum into a bucket so I can see if I siphon up and fry.
Carol

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How smart of you...It fits right on the siphon hose...I would have never in a million years thought of that.. I was just going to get a big algae scrubber and clean the bottom with it. But this is getting the waterchange and cleaning the bottom done all in one step so that's great...I do use a white 5 gallon bucket to do the waterchanges with so I'm good there..Thanks sooooo much Carol. This will help me a ton.

Just for everyone else's information Carol has been an awesome help in all of this..Truly, she has gone above and beyond with helping me and deserves some recognition..She has helped me every step of the way right from the beginning even pointing me in the right direction of finding these precious little babies. Plus my never ending questions is enough to make anyone crazy and she has been soooo super helpful. If I have any success at this at all I owe allot of it to Carol. THANK YOU CAROL..

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
:-* Oh you make me blush!!
Actually this little tip was passed on to me by an angelfish breeder who I had bought angels from. Has stood me in good stead through angel fry, BN fry, Cory fry and just about anything else that has bred for me.
If it doesn't fit right on your siphon tubing you can get vinyl tubing at Lowes in what ever length/size you want.
Carol

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We don't have a lowes in our little town but we do have an Orchelons and they have tubing..So I'll find some there.....I'm sending Hubby to Walmart for me after his class to look for it. I'm busy painting this fishroom..Hopefully he can find it..I told him to look in the auto department too..lol..

I gave him the go ahead to ship them out..They are coming fed ex overnight and he was going to try to get them out today....Yippee...I hope all goes well...Wish them luck in their journey. If he doesn't ship them out today it will be tomorrow..So I'll be getting them very soon. I can't wait to see them.

They're here they're here!!!!!....All 6 of my little babies are here happy and healthy!!!..I'm acclimating them right now using a drip...So i'm keeping a close eye on these guys!!..They are sooooooo pretty..Pics to follow!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
omgoooooooooodness....I'm so so excited for you ..and I CANT wait for pics...hurrrrrrrry LOL

I'm so so doggon happy for you cesch...they are adorable!! I wish you well in this project and remember me when you get fry (still can't find any around here!!)

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Shawnie!!...I will remember you IF I get fry..lol...I'm really hoping if I do everything right they will give me some little babies..lol..I'll get some closer shots of them when they get settled into their tank. I'm really exciting about these little guys...I hope they like it here. ..They really are just beautiful little babies and have the cutest eyes.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
never doubt your ability to do as you wish..your a great fish mommy ...now read up on how to ship fish (unless you do already) because I can see a great future with these babies

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have been reading up on how to ship fish..lol...It's soooo scary though..lol..
But I will def ship....They go like hotcakes on aquabid so I figure if I end up with way too many babies I'll be selling them their too. But I want all of them to go to the best of homes so it's hard..lol..I know you'll be a perfect candidate though. I'll sell to my fishlore buddies first and then to the locals...Like you I can't find anything but common pleco's around here..So hopefully I can find some good homes around here too..But I'm sure I have awhile before I have to worry about babies..

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
always keep them local if you feel they can have a great home...that's my motto..why stress them if you don't have too ? (shipping wise) now that ive hijacked your blog hahah...I wish you well with your babies

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LOL...Thanks Shawnie..I'm super excited about it..I hope they acclimate ok and thrive..Keep your fingers crossed for them!!

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are in their tank eating happily. They are good little eaters!!

New Threads