Kulie Loaches, do they eat guppy fry?

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by Blk69, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Have a guppy breeding tank (75 gal). Looking to add some scavengers that wont eat my fry. Any suggestions?

2. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

Hi and welcome!
    I wonder if you might enjoy some snails and shrimp in a tank that large. Yes, I would add some loach to it as well.

3. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

As far as I know, kuhli loaches won't eat the guppy fry as long as they can't see them. Just make sure there's lots of hiding places for the fry. I can't exactly speak from experience as I've never bred guppies or kept kuhli loaches, but that would be what I can assume. Make sure you get at least 6 kuhlis if you decide on them because they are a schooling fish :)

4. Aloeb1

Aloeb1Valued MemberMember

I would also be worried about the parent guppies eating the fry

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    B

Blk69Valued MemberMember

I was going to get some ghost shrimp and I read where they will eat baby Fry. That is why I thought about the loaches.

So far have the larger guppies have not been eating the smaller ones. Assume some will be eaten...natures way. Was hoping to raise a few form each litter to grow my population. So far I have 10 fry.

6. GeoffreyWell Known MemberMember

If you have sand, I think kuhli loaches or even cories should be fine. My cories don't touch my guppy fry (really nobody does, not even my pearl gourami) and I think the loaches would be the same.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Blk69Valued MemberMember

8. GeoffreyWell Known MemberMember

How course is the gravel. If the gravel is rounded, it would still work (it's just not ideal).

9. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Livebearer fry are normally too big for Kuhlies to eat.

10. OP
    OP
    B

Blk69Valued MemberMember

Gravel is rounded....standard pet store gravel. 1/4 Dia. Looks like river rock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice