Kuhlis???

1. eliscofield12 Member Member

I want to know if I can put some Khuli loaches in my already established tank. Right now it has 2 male fancy guppies, 2 sunset thick lipped gourami (I believe one male and one female I also want to know if that is correct I will post pics at the end), and 1 albino bristle nose pleco. I am going to take him back Tuesday when I go to my lfs. So can I get some kuhlis and if so how many can I get.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank?

3. octavio Member Member

Kuhlies seem to do well in groups of at least 4 or 5. They really don't like bright lights, so it's uncommon to see them when you have the aquarium lights on. And they need somewhere safe to hide such as under half of a coconut shell or small clay pot. A nice quiet dark place where they can have their own nest and not be bothered by more curious fish. But they are great critters to have in a community tank. Good luck.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd stock kuhlis at 8 or 10 if possible. They are social and do better with more.

5. eliscofield12 Member Member

A 20 gall high and will be sure to put in plenty of hiding places.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

8-10 will be fine.

7. eliscofield12 Member Member

thank yall so much i didnt know if it would work with my current stocking but nice to know that it does. thanks so much this site is amazing. i might only be able to afford 6 will that be fine for like a month the i will get 4 more.

8. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I just got 6 of the banded kuhlis loaches three weeks ago from Trinsfish.com. They all arrived healthy and are doing well. Alison:;hi1

9. eliscofield12 Member Member

So all is good there is everyone sure there will be no problems. And also what are some tips on feeding and just keeping them in general. All help is appreciated.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They'll be fine with the guppies, though I'd rehome the gourami or upgrade to a different tank. A 20 gal high doesn't provide much room for them.

11. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Thicklipped gourami's need a 30 inch tank. They can get big and while generally peaceful, can become somewhat aggressive if crowded. I wouldn't keep them in a 20 high.

Agree with TexasDomer advice on Kuhli's. 8-10 will be fine with lots of shaded/hiding places. Getting 6 first then 4 later is perfectly fine.

For feeding, mine love the omega one shrimp pellets. They usually wrap themselves around one of them and gnaw on it until full and slither back to their hiding place.

12. eliscofield12 Member Member

Thanks.

13. eliscofield12 Member Member

What are their preferable hiding places if there are any.

14. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

15. eliscofield12 Member Member

I have plenty of that is my setup ok for them. The coral is hollow along with the rock castle I built.

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are those rocks glued together? I'd worry about them falling on the fish if not.

17. eliscofield12 Member Member

They are.

So how does my setup look

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Good!

How sharp is the gravel? Kuhlis like sand, but gravel is fine if it's not sharp.

19. eliscofield12 Member Member

It isn't that sharp.

20. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Just keep an eye on them. If you start seeing little scratches on their bellies or if they start losing their barbels then you may want to consider switching to sand.