Kuhlis in a high pH?

1. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Would the kuhli loaches in my LFS be able to live in a pH of 7.9 - 8.1? I'm not sure of the parameters in my LFS. I was just wondering would these beauties be able to survive and thrive in my local water?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They should be fine! If they're wild caught or from a lower pH, acclimate them very slowly.

3. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

That is a good question . fish are usually adaptable to ph as long as it is steady. You google planet catfish and see what the range is for them. they give you good basic care, on diet , and natural habitat, temp an ph range. Alison

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Kuhli loaches for sale are wild caught so just acclimate them slowly and my guess is they will be fine . People all over the country keep them in a variety PH depending on where they live. most fish are adaptable within reason. Alison:;hi1

5. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the advice aliray I'll make sure to acclimatise them as slowly as I can. I'll take a whole day dripping in water if I need to! These guys are my dream fish and I don't want anything to go wrong^_^

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, agree with the above. My kuhli's live in ph thats around 8.0 or so.

As with any fish, its not so much the actual numbers but more of a "swing" in ph, either high or low that can cause problems ( much like altitude sickness ) so its best to acclimate slowly

7. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Your welcome but you don't have to go to quite that extreme. I don't remember if I posted somewhere that you saw but in case I didn't, I put the bag opened into the tank but held up by the tank top for 30 min. Then after that I added 1/2 cup tank water every 15 min times 5 then after the last addition I waited another 15 min then just let them swim into the tank, I kept the tank lights off the whole time and for at least an hour after that and then fed everybody some tasty thawed frozen brine shrimp. Alison