Kuhlis: Double down or Fold?

wateriswet

Hello! I've had 4 kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon heavily planted tank for about a year. The first 2 weeks I had them, they zoomed around everywhere and were spastic and I loved them (see my profile pic). Then they started hiding all the time and I actually thought they had all died until I did a complete rescaping and spooked them. Now I'm about to setup a 20 gallon tall. My question is should I rehome the Kuhlis or up their numbers? What are your experiences in keeping them? For people who actually get to see them out and about regularly, could you please post a photo of your setup?

I'm going to be moving in a male betta, 6 cherry barbs, a nerite, and a colony of cherry shrimp. If I keep the Kuhlis, how many do you recommend? Or should I get corydoras instead because I really enjoy them and they don't hide all the time?

yeti79

The secret to seeing kuhlis is giving them lots of places to hide. If they can slip away to safety at a moments notice they will not be afraid to come out. I have a dozen in my 20 tall. Having more will also help with seeing them. I rarely see more than a few at a time if not feeding but there are usually some out and about. I will add a picture soon for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_130211898.jpg
    IMG_20210626_130211898.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

wateriswet

The secret to seeing kuhlis is giving them lots of places to hide. If they can slip away to safety at a moments notice they will not be afraid to come out. I have a dozen in my 20 tall. Having more will also help with seeing them. I rarely see more than a few at a time if not feeding but there are usually some out and about. I will add a picture soon for you.
Thanks! I had cholla, sprinkler tubes, banana plant roots, a rock lean to, and a hollow log and didn't even see them at feeding time so I'm curious to see a successful setup.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

Kuhli loaches feeding time

I have 21 in 25gal (click above for vid). If you want them to be comfortable and active you need numbers and lots of cover!

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I have 9 in a 48g bowfront. At any given moment I'll usually see 6 or so. But if I look in the back I can usually see them all. Mine are really active all day, really really active at feeding time, even if it's just flakes for the fish, they start rooting around the sand.
I don't have any caves, but the planting is dense in the back and they feel secure in the val root jungle where it's dark.

20210626_112753.jpg

20210626_112901.jpg

I agree to up the numbers, they are fun little noodles.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
Replies
Views
ItzShrimpInaBag
  • Question
Replies
Views