Kuhlis dancing along glass

sirdarksol
One of my kuhlis is doing something I haven't seen since I got them a couple of weeks ago. It's swimming around the side of the tank, ranging from just above the substrate to the top of the tank. I just did a water change, but I didn't do anything different from when I normally do. Temp was good, added dechlorinator.
They've become braver over the past couple of days, so this could just be playing. I just don't know what is normal for kuhlis.

Butterfly
That's pretty normal after a water change. they will also play in bubbles
Here is a not real good video of mine playing in the bubbles
carol

sirdarksol
Thanks Carol. For the past week and a half, all I've seen of them was that two would come out when I dropped a shrimp pellet in. I wasn't even sure if I still had three. Now, for an hour or so after the last water change, I've seen all three of them dancing around, so I was worried. They're movements are always so frantic that it's hard to tell if they're agitated or just being kuhlis.

Butterfly
Their just being kuhlis that video was made when I had 20 + in the 55G. They played in the bubbles every night about dusk but when I did a water change they were all over the tank like that. Maybe they think the spring rains have come and it's time to party
Carol

Lucy
20 + in a 55g? Don't they follow the same 1" rule?
I'd love to have a few, but I don't have the room.

They are so interesting.

Butterfly
20 + in a 55g? Don't they follow the same 1" rule?
I'd love to have a few, but I don't have the room.

They are so interesting.
When using the 1 inch rule body mass and bioload also have to be considered. Kuhlis don't have much body mass and have a very low bioload.
They were the only bottom dwelling fish in there and loved prowling through the sand for goodies so they weren't fed every day.
The times when they were out in the other areas they didn't bother/weren't bothered by the yoyos and hillstream loaches. There were Danios for dither fish. This tank also got 50% water changes 2x a week .
Kuhlis are very very interesting fish, you just have to be careful what else you have in the tank with them.
carol

sirdarksol
Unfortunately, Lucy, I don't think you'd be able to keep them in either a 5 or 10 gallon tank. Not positive about this, and Carol, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I know that they're pretty sensitive to changes in water quality.

Back on my kuhlis, I think the little guys tuckered themselves out last night. It took them almost a minute to respond to the shrimp pellets laying a few inches away from the entrance to their hollows.

Butterfly
Unfortunately, Lucy, I don't think you'd be able to keep them in either a 5 or 10 gallon tank. Not positive about this, and Carol, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I know that they're pretty sensitive to water changes.
Your absolutely correct SDS I did have three in a ten gallon alone many years ago when I first got interested in them. With twice a week water changes the water quality was fine but it just didn't seem like they were happy. When they moved to the 55G and more were added there was a world of difference in them.They definitely need other fish (dithers) to tell them all is well with their world.
Carol

Lucy
Thanks for the info, yea, knew I couldn't have them.
I'm getting a 20g, but I seriously need a 55.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NeonTetra11
Replies
Views
cdwag29
Replies
Views
AquaticBrandon
Replies
Views