Kuhli Loaches With Betta? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SorenFawn, Aug 18, 2019.

1. SorenFawn

SorenFawnNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong thread!
    I was wondering, would a 20 gallon long tank with kuhli loaches and a betta be a good setup? (I was thinking maybe 6 kuhli loaches, since from what I've read that's a comfortable group size for them.) In addition, I was wondering if live plants are necessary for kuhli loaches. Thank you!!

2. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,198
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore! I don't know much about kuhli loaches, but I would think that so lo g as they are temperature compatible, it would be okay

3. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +164
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've done it before, it works out great! My one suggestion which would be to have a lot of surface area for the loaches and places that the Betta can't get into, which in your case the 20 long sounds perfect! If you decide to go planted, make sure you dose ferts every now and then, you won't have much of a bioload to fuel the plants.

4. Loachland

LoachlandValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    My personal take is that Kuhlis can be kept with most anything, so long as they have a hiding space accessible only to them. Plant rhizome systems, plastic tunnels, rock caves, etc. are great hiding places.

5. OP
    OP
    SorenFawn

SorenFawnNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks so much!! I'll keep that in mind if I do decide to go for live plants!

Thanks! I believe they are temperature compatible :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
  6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,198
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Great...then they should be good tankmates for your betta.

7. Loachland

LoachlandValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you go with live plants, I highly recommend having a Java Fern. I have a huge one that takes about about a third of my 29g and my kuhli (yes singular, getting him more friends soon) uses its rhizomes more than the rest of the tank’s hiding spots combined.

They’re really cute little fish, I hope you enjoy them! Just be absolutely sure to cover your filter intake, they’re slippery little guys.

8. FantasyFanVII

FantasyFanVIIValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    5 years
    I agree they should go well together. I'd definitely go with sand if you have loaches though. And have a backup plan just in case you end up with a supreme a-hole betta who can't be kept with anything. Should be fine though, especially if the loachs have plenty of space to hide.
    As for plants, java fern, anubias and cryptocoryne are good places to start. Just don't bury the rhizome of the java fern or anubias if you get any. But do make sure any cryptocoryne have a nutrient rich substrate or at least some root tabs. None of the plants should need much fertilization other then that.