Kuhli loaches!!!! What are they doing?

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by Alexander333, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Alexander333

Alexander333 New Member Member

Ok so I've own these fish for a while. Kuhlis I've had for about 2 years, these specific 4, are over a year old. So the problem is they won't stop swimming in circles. I've had to put stones in the corners of the tank to stop them removing all the sand.

im really fond of these little guys, I find them interesting and different. They've been in the same tank their whole life, but I've recently changed up the whole things, new substrate, heavily planted, change in decor.

I know that they do this dance where they swim in circles but this is persistent. 24/7, all 4 of them. They never stop. They didnt use to do it this much.

Guys whats wrong with my kuhlis:( I'm sure you've answered this a thousand times before but I'm worried. The tank has been like this for a month and they've been doing this for a month! They destroying my tank buy uprooting every thing anywhere near the corners or side
    please help
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Kuhli loaches are schooling fish and need to be in a group of six or more. They are probably acting the way they are as a result of stress from not being in a proper school.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Alexander333

So you think I should add more? The things is I had these 4 for a very long time, this behaviour is recent. I forgot to say that my oh is 7.5 (slightly worried about this)

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

What are your water parameters?

5. Dom90

A pH of 7.5 is nothing to worry about. Most fish learn to adapt to whatever pH they are in, as long as it's a slow acclimation.

6. OP
    OP
    Alexander333

Ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate >30
    i have been testing it for the past week, the water is healthy and the neons in it are happy

7. OP
    OP
    Alexander333

Look maybe they are just doing the playful thing and that's a kuhli loach for you

8. Dom90

Well if you have the room, I'd still advise you to get at least two more kuhlis to complete the school.

9. OP
    OP
    Alexander333

Ok I think that maybe a good idea. I was considering getting a school of cory cats (just cuz they tend to be better bottom feeders imo and they clean on leaves more) but maybe I should just stick with the loaches. Got a lot of cherry shrimp anyway. Ok thank you I'll try this

10. Dom90

The cories will outcompete the loaches for food and I heard loaches are nocturnal eaters.

11. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't add the cories. Up the school of the loaches to Atleast 6

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice