Kuhli loaches vs. Cory cats?

1. Maxi1

Maxi1 Member Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Hi All,

I have a 55 gallon tank which needs some restocking due to older fish passing. . I would like different opinions on whether to get a school of kuhli loaches or Cory cats. I have had Cory cats before and like them. I also have now 2 kuhlies, started out with 5 but lost a few along the way. Honestly I have been waiting for over a year for these 2 to go but they are going strong. Before they were in my 29 gallon but are now in the 55. Before I hardly saw them, but now I could get a really large school where hopefully they would be out more. Oh and these are brown, if I find banded ones are they the same species?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,802
    If you already have kuhlis then it pains me to say it but I'd get more kuhlis.
    As for different varieties shoaling together I can't say as I've only ever kept one species of kuhli.

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,125
    I had the same thoughts as Coradee. :(

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,167
    Hey, great minds think alike!

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I just recently got 6 of the banded kuhli's and I am really pleased with them they are active and busy little guys. I bought them from Trinsfish.com. Alison:;hi2

6. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +3,796
    I love my kuhlis. I have both the banded and the black/ brown. My black kuhli is much more shy than my banded. But they will shoal together. With a 55 I would do at least 10 and as high as 14. You could honestly do more than that but I think that's a good stock for the bottom. Do you have gravel or sand

7. OP
    OP
    Maxi1

Maxi1 Member Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I have sand and a nice piece of driftwood the 2 live under.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +3,796
    Sand is a great substrate for them. They enjoy hiding places as well so if you up the numbers i'd suggest putting a few more hiding places. Hiding places can be anything from caves to plants, to pretty much any shaded area.

9. OP
    OP
    Maxi1

Maxi1 Member Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, I am going to get more kuhlies next week I decided for sure. And I ordered some caves from Amazon this morning. Thinking about 5-6 if I they are in stock. Thanks

10. OP
    OP
    Maxi1

Maxi1 Member Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Update: got 5 black Julie's today forces total of 7. And tonight between the moon light and s flashlight I counted at least 4 of them out and about, on the bottom and some zipping around up to the top of the water.

Kuhlies that is. First time I have ever seen that, it was nice and thx for the advice. .