Kuhli loaches vs. Cory cats?

1. Maxi1 Member Member

Hi All,

I have a 55 gallon tank which needs some restocking due to older fish passing. . I would like different opinions on whether to get a school of kuhli loaches or Cory cats. I have had Cory cats before and like them. I also have now 2 kuhlies, started out with 5 but lost a few along the way. Honestly I have been waiting for over a year for these 2 to go but they are going strong. Before they were in my 29 gallon but are now in the 55. Before I hardly saw them, but now I could get a really large school where hopefully they would be out more. Oh and these are brown, if I find banded ones are they the same species?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you already have kuhlis then it pains me to say it but I'd get more kuhlis.
    As for different varieties shoaling together I can't say as I've only ever kept one species of kuhli.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I had the same thoughts as Coradee. :(

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Hey, great minds think alike!

5. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I just recently got 6 of the banded kuhli's and I am really pleased with them they are active and busy little guys. I bought them from Trinsfish.com. Alison:;hi2

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I love my kuhlis. I have both the banded and the black/ brown. My black kuhli is much more shy than my banded. But they will shoal together. With a 55 I would do at least 10 and as high as 14. You could honestly do more than that but I think that's a good stock for the bottom. Do you have gravel or sand

7. Maxi1 Member Member

I have sand and a nice piece of driftwood the 2 live under.

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Sand is a great substrate for them. They enjoy hiding places as well so if you up the numbers i'd suggest putting a few more hiding places. Hiding places can be anything from caves to plants, to pretty much any shaded area.

9. Maxi1 Member Member

Yes, I am going to get more kuhlies next week I decided for sure. And I ordered some caves from Amazon this morning. Thinking about 5-6 if I they are in stock. Thanks

10. Maxi1 Member Member

Update: got 5 black Julie's today forces total of 7. And tonight between the moon light and s flashlight I counted at least 4 of them out and about, on the bottom and some zipping around up to the top of the water.

Kuhlies that is. First time I have ever seen that, it was nice and thx for the advice. .