20 Gallon Tank Kuhli loaches in community tank?

Jennalovesanimals

Hi, I’m planning to sell some of my fish from my 20 high tank when the stores open up again- I’m getting rid of all my platy fry and probably 6 guppies and 5 neons. So what I’ll have left in my tank would be 5 platies and 10 neon tetras. I’m debating what tank mates I’m going to put in. I’m thinking possibly dwarf cichlids or kuhlI loaches. If I did put loaches in there, how many could I have with 10 neons and 5 platies? How about with 5 platies and 15 neons?

Demeter

For small schooling fish (like neons) a few more/less won't impact the bioload much at all, same with the loaches as their bioload is rather tiny. I'd go with 8-10 in a 20gal, the more you have the more active they'll be. Just be sure you have a soft substrate for them, sand in great but smooth pea gravel works too.

Jennalovesanimals

For small schooling fish (like neons) a few more/less won't impact the bioload much at all, same with the loaches as their bioload is rather tiny. I'd go with 8-10 in a 20 gallon, the more you have the more active they'll be. Just be sure you have a soft substrate for them, sand in great but smooth pea gravel works too.

Uhh ok I don’t have soft substrate, it’s just regular small gravel. Does that affect it?

Jennalovesanimals

For small schooling fish (like neons) a few more/less won't impact the bioload much at all, same with the loaches as their bioload is rather tiny. I'd go with 8-10 in a 20 gallon, the more you have the more active they'll be. Just be sure you have a soft substrate for them, sand in great but smooth pea gravel works too.

Image1585250076.868138.jpg

jpaquatics

None IMO, that stocking would already have a pretty high bio load and they would need sinking food which would be hard to compete with neons and platies which are more voracious eaters. 20 gallons is the minimum tank size with them, but they really won’t thrive unless in something a bit bigger or with less fish to compete with. I feel like they could do fine with just the neons, so maybe get rid of all the platies and get 6 kuhlI loaches, while keeping the neons at 10?

ayeayeron

I agree with Demeter. Make sure you have lots of hiding places for them because they’re nocturnal.

ayeayeron

None IMO, that stocking would already have a pretty high bio load and they would need sinking food which would be hard to compete with neons and platies which are more voracious eaters. 20 gallons is the minimum tank size with them, but they really won’t thrive unless in something a bit bigger or with less fish to compete with. I feel like they could do fine with just the neons, so maybe get rid of all the platies and get 6 kuhlI loaches, while keeping the neons at 10?
No? Both neons and kuhlI loaches have a very low bioload, so as for that it’s no problem. I agree that 20 is as low as you can go with kuhlis, but they will be perfectly happy in that tank.

Jennalovesanimals

I agree with Demeter. Make sure you have lots of hiding places for them because they’re nocturnal.

Okay thanks. Still not for sure if I’ll be going with loaches or not, just weighing my options for now.

jpaquatics

No? Both neons and kuhlI loaches have a very low bioload, so as for that it’s no problem. I agree that 20 is as low as you can go with kuhlis, but they will be perfectly happy in that tank.

I’m saying 6 platies plus 15 neons plus 6+ kuhlis is a large bio load for a 20 gallon. I recommended 6 kuhlis and 10 neons

Jennalovesanimals

I’m saying 6 platies plus 15 neons plus 6+ kuhlis is a large bio load for a 20 gallon. I recommended 6 kuhlis and 10 neons

5*

jpaquatics

They’re a schooling fish so it is recommended to get 6+ with kuhlis

Jennalovesanimals

They’re a schooling fish so it is recommended to get 6+ with kuhlis

Sorry I just meant 5 platies, not 6. Not that it makes a huge difference

Demeter

The gravel looks fine, just be sure to have lots of ground cover or they will hide constantly. For the platties, make sure they're all one gender or you'll be overrun again.

For the record, I've had 6 java loaches, a betta and cherry shrimp in a well planted 10gal with no issues other than a heater malfunction. The footprint of a 10gal and a standard 20gal is not that different. Provided all their other needs are met they can be quite content in that size tank IMO. But that's what works for me so yeah.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Robmtl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question