Kuhli Loaches 20gal H tank, help?

LoachBoat

I was told recently that Kuhli loaches would not thrive in a 20gal High tank and needed a 20gal long. When I first bought my tank I went with the high because I have a betta and I knew I wanted bottom feeders … and didn’t want them in the same residual area height wise to give them layer space? I wanted to add Kuhli Loaches (6) as my first tank mates to my betta but now I’m not sure if my tank is right for them. Any advice will help!

awilkinson871

A 20 high is too small. Even a 20 long (30 inches) seems short for 6 loaches. They are expected to get 5 inches each and only stay at the bottom so they need room. You might get away with 2-3 in a 20 long but that is the most I would do.

Upvote 0

LoachBoat

A 20 high is too small. Even a 20 long (30 inches) seems short for 6 loaches. They are expected to get 5 inches each and only stay at the bottom so they need room. You might get away with 2-3 in a 20 long but that is the most I would do.
Some people are saying 6 is the minimum and to not go lower because it’ll disrupt the pecking order. Then some are saying the 20gal is the min and some are saying they have 3 in a 10gal. I think I’m just going to upgrade my tank at this point

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I M O
You should be fine to add kuhli loaches to a 20 tall. They are not an active schooler like a tetra or danio, they are activly curious, and you can add things like pvc pipe, cocunut shells, hollow deco, to keep them happy. And they dont mind being crowded.

6 kuhli loaches is a bottom barrel amount, these fish like to be in very large schools, just because people keep less, doesnt mean thewy should keep less.
If it were my 20 gallon, if I only had a single betta, I would try 9 kuhli loaches. But if you are thinking to upgrade anyway, go for a 30 galllon long, go for 15 kuhli loaches and see how they actually act when together. And if you still have the 20 maybe keep chain loaches!

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Some people are saying 6 is the minimum and to not go lower because it’ll disrupt the pecking order. Then some are saying the 20gal is the min and some are saying they have 3 in a 10gal. I think I’m just going to upgrade my tank at this point
Bigger is always better. Larger tanks hold more fish but they are also easier to keep parameters steady.

Upvote 0

LoachBoat

I M O
You should be fine to add kuhli loaches to a 20 tall. They are not an active schooler like a tetra or danio, they are activly curious, and you can add things like pvc pipe, cocunut shells, hollow deco, to keep them happy. And they dont mind being crowded.

6 kuhli loaches is a bottom barrel amount, these fish like to be in very large schools, just because people keep less, doesnt mean thewy should keep less.
If it were my 20 gallon, if I only had a single betta, I would try 9 kuhli loaches. But if you are thinking to upgrade anyway, go for a 30 galllon long, go for 15 kuhli loaches and see how they actually act when together. And if you still have the 20 maybe keep chain loaches!
Thank you so much, I’m getting answers all around but yours was the most helpful. I’m going to upgrade my tank in the following weeks. I’ll definitely look into those dwarf loaches.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ItzShrimpInaBag
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Kuhli loach problem
Replies
Views
bermese2002
  • Question