Kuhli loach/pregnant platy

MetLife

I had 2 female platy (1 was clearly pregnant) in a 20 gal that I was getting ready to move into my 55 gal. I open the lid, both platies are swimming around & pecking at food on the sand. I move the kuhli loach fortress and of course they all go into a frenzy and doing the loach dance. I look down and the pregnant platy, is dead on the ground?!?! It almost looked like her belly was getting bigger and bigger, but it could have just been my eyes playing tricks on me.
The only thing i can think of is maybe one of the loaches accidentally ran into her, and it killed her instantly??? It was literally maybe 20 seconds since I had last looked at her swimming. Has anyone had this happen?!?! My mind is boggled

Noroomforshoe

I doubt it was the loaches, There are often many stress factors hindering the health of pregnant fish. It's odd that it died right in front of you so suddenly like that, but the loaches bumping her and killing her would be wierd too. Im sorry this isnt more helpfull.

MetLife

I doubt it was the loaches, There are often many stress factors hindering the health of pregnant fish. It's odd that it died right in front of you so suddenly like that, but the loaches bumping her and killing her would be wierd too. Im sorry this isnt more helpfull.
The whole thing was weird. Maybe the sudden movements of the loach scared her? But she has been in the tank with them since she was a fry, I would think she would habe been use to them moving around. Thanks for the reply

Noroomforshoe

Its a mystery! Sorry for your loss!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mettelil
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
  • Scardom
  • Platy
Replies