Kuhli loach feeding

Vivo

Reaction score
I inherited 2 black kuhli loaches. I have a 32 gallon tall hexagon tank. I feed sinking pellets (2) at night after lights are off so my other fish can't see it to eat. I have a multi species tank. Is it enough food? Also, are 2 enough to make them happy? If I add one more, will they be happy with a striped Kuhli? I really don't want to add more than one due to the bio load and the fact that I don't see them during the day. I do want them to be happy though.

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reaction score
-Yes that's probably more than enough food.
-I have 2 black ones and 2 striped ones, they don't fight or anything and will eat/hide together but I see them together more with their own color a little more. They are different species.
-People say they will be more active when you get more, and they also have a very low bioload so you don't need to worry about that.

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
FishBoy101 said:
2 is definitely not enough. You need a larger tank or just a kuhli loach only tank. You should have 6+
If I don't get 6 should I get rid of the two? Assuming I can catch them?

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
wishuponafish said:
-Yes that's probably more than enough food.
-I have 2 black ones and 2 striped ones, they don't fight or anything and will eat/hide together but I see them together more with their own color a little more. They are different species.
-People say they will be more active when you get more, and they also have a very low bioload so you don't need to worry about that.
my two are very active with lights off. They go up and down and up and down my tall tank; over and over, is this normal?

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reaction score
Vivo said:
my two are very active with lights off. They go up and down and up and down my tall tank; over and over, is this normal?
Yes it's normal for black ones, the striped ones don't do that IME.
People can be sticklers about numbers on here but I think having less than 6 isn't at a level of animal cruelty for these guys. They can be more shy during the day but they still come out to eat and are active at night, unlike tetras and stuff where they just sit in a corner and don't do anything if they're alone. The more the merrier though, even if they're different colors.
I had 3 of the black ones, and after I had them for a while they swam around all over the place during the day too.

yeti79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The more kuhlis the better. I keep 12 in a 20 gallon with other fish. Would try to keep the same type together, all will get along great however. As long as kuhlis have plenty of hiding spots you will see them during daytime more, especially if you have a larger group. They have low bioload and do great at cleaning the bottom of the tank of excess food.

New Threads