Kuhli Loach Care

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by Ankers, Aug 2, 2017.

?

What do you prefer sand or gravel?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2017.
  1. Sand

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Gravel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ankers

AnkersWell Known MemberMember

I want to get a group of kuhli loaches anything I need to know

2. Samuel97

Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

Get them from a good supplier as they can sometimes be sick, get as large a group as you can to keep them happy, and give them lots of hiding places and tubes to make them comfortable.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

They can be shy fish so keep them in a large group and give them loads of cover. Give them sand because they like to bury themselves in it and they like to sift through the sand. Feed them small sinking foods and frozen foods. They prefer soft acidic water but will adapt to most water.

4. OP
    OP
    Ankers

how would I clean the sand

5. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Since food, poop, etc doesn't fall through the cracks like it does in gravel, it just sits on the top of sand - usually easy to see. I just "hover" my aquarium vac tube over it and it sucks it right up.

6. BottomDweller

You just use a siphon and hold it a little above the surface of the sand. It's actually easier to keep clean than gravel IME because dirt falls between the gaps in gravel but it sits on top of the sand.

7. OP
    OP
    Ankers

Thanks
    Would the sand potentially scratch the eyes of my other fish

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  8. Samuel97

Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

No, most fish are from places with sand naturally so that's not a problem :p

9. OP
    OP
    Ankers

Would the sand be bad for golden zebra loaches and or plecos. Could they swallow it and if so would it be harmful?

10. BottomDweller

No, pretty much every bottom dwelling fish prefers sand to gravel. If they swallow it it is much more easily digested and pooped out than gravel and causes no problems

11. OP
    OP
    Ankers

Would the pleco still like some rocks to clean off

Loach and pleco

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice