Kribs with Rosy Barbs

Discussion in 'Kribensis - Kribs' started by Adambull1990, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Adambull1990

Adambull1990New MemberMember

I have recently found out that, after trying and failing and putting them in a small community tank, that my Kribs have finally decided to become parents which came as a pleasant surprise. I have removed all tank mates and now they live rather peacefully on there own.

After reading up on the internet on how to care for the babies, I read that people often use rosy barbs as "Dither fish" to help take some of the aggression away from the Kribs.

The question I have is that if I get myself a mating pair of rosy barbs, is there any chance that I would be able to breed them alongside the Kribs, or will this just be just one big disaster waiting to happen?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Barbs don't pair off like cichlids do. They are schooling fish so there is a hierarchy. To answer your question, no the barbs mating is not going to do anything but provide food for the kribs. They really have to be kept in a specialized tank to really breed them - in a tank with other fish, the eggs are usually eaten.

3. OP
    OP
    Adambull1990

Adambull1990New MemberMember

Ok thanks for that, Maybe I will just try and get a couple to use as "Dither fish", see how that goes.

If they get bullied too much I have another tank they can live in peacefully.