kribs moving gravel from different caves

1. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

is it normal to have the male moving gravel around from one cave and the female moving gravel from another cave? if they are about to spawn how long do they usually move gravel around before the eggs are layed....i'm really hoping for some fry:;dete

2. DarkFin Member Member

Yes, VERY normal for kribs and most all cichlids to move gravel, becuase they want the tank how they want their tank. i don't believe kribs dig holes and then breed, but if the water parameters, and heating is right, you might get lucky! :)

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you been playing some Barry White for them? ;)

4. DarkFin Member Member

haha, they might breed eventually!

5. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

i hope so, the male is being pretty aggresive with the mollies. when i do a water change should i vacumme the gravel or leave it alone while they are doing this...last time the female was moving gravel around and they looked all excited i vacummed the gravel and they totally stopped flirting...what do you guys think?

6. DarkFin Member Member

don't vaccum the the gravel around them, but you might ant to vaccum, it will reduce wast.

7. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

ok guys...check this out, the female is inside of the cave, rubbing herself sideways/backwards against the walls inside...the male is full colored outside and goes inside on occasions.....i'm hoping something good is happening....i don't want to do a water change yet, i don't want to disturb anything...maybe i'll wait a day or two and then change the water and maybe vacumm slightely...what do you guys think?

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I've never kept kribs, but if that was a convict, I'd say look for eggs soon!

9. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

here's another question....if they do end up having fry, should i get rid of the mollies, i don't want them eating the fry...but i'm not sure if they would....i like the mollies, but they are being harrassed by the male krib right now....even though he dosent do any damage to them??

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm...mollies and breeding kribs. I really don't have the answer to that, but I'm sure one of our "krib-keepers" will be along shortly that may be able to answer that for you. Kribs are pretty protective of their fry, so my biggest concern would be the mollies getting beat up or killed by the over-protective parents, but I really can't say for sure.

11. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

yeah i would like to know....love them mollies also, but i'll do what i have to...just need some advice...please anyone?