Kribs Mating Behavior?

Genderal
I asked before about my kribs sex and now iam sure I have both sexes because female start to show great colors and they stop chasing and they follow each other every where.entering some caves sometimes .sometimes when the male and female get close enough to each other near a cave the male start vibrating for a second or two. Is this normal and when they will lay eggs

MikeRad89
Sooner rather than later. The female will lay eggs upside down, so make sure you have a cave with a cover for her.

Genderal
Thanks mike for your reply I have currently two caves one is considered as pleco's home LOL. The other is empty but smaller but I think they will choose it.

Sarah73
He vibrates showing that he wants to mate. Make sure you have a cave like mike said.

yukondog
When they do lay they will get very aggressive towards anything in the tank that gets close to the nest or fry, pleco included. Good luck, there great parents.

Genderal
Thanks everyone .now I think they picked up a cave most of the time the female is inside the cave she barely come out to eat an the male is outside guarding the cave from any other fish approaching.is everything okay an when she will lay the eggs ?

MikeRad89
With that behavior she likely already has.

Don't move the cave to look, just let them do their thing.

NavigatorBlack
Here, I know for certain when they have moved substrate to try to block entry to the cave.

Genderal
I didn't notice that may be because the entry of the cave already is very small ?

NavigatorBlack
My females have generally walled themselves in.

Genderal
New update .now I realized that the female started attacking the male and wants to keep him away from the cave !
Is this normal ? And I appreciate your replies

chromedome52
Yes, that often happens after the eggs are laid. Once the fry are free swimming and ready to come out, she may allow him to assist in protecting them. But as said, the female doesn't want anyone, including the male, to come near her eggs. His job is territorial defense, not egg fanning.

Genderal
Here is the update now finally the eggs hatched and fry started free swimming but still the female doesn't allow the male to get near them or any other fish.will they can survive in the community tank ?

yukondog
Mine did in both tanks, what else is in the tank with them and how big is your tank?

Genderal
They have a tiger barb and zebra danios with them and my tank is 85 litre .when can I move the fry to lfs safely ?

yukondog
Mine won't take them till there about 1 1/2" they need to look like kribs about 4 mo.

max h
Mine won't take them till there about 1 1/2" they need to look like kribs about 4 mo.

Which store are you using? I only found on place in P'cola to take fry so far.

Genderal
I can find only 3 out of 9 fry in one day I don't think they will survive they will need. A separate tank or may be they hide anywhere

yukondog
Which store are you using? I only found on place in P'cola to take fry so far
Pet land on Davis get with Ryan [fish manager]

If it's there first batch they maybe eating them, she will lay again in a few weeks, is she still protecting them still and keeping them in a group?

Genderal
Yes she still protecting them.and the group is only 3 now.is there an possibilty that when the lights are out they got lost and get eaten by the other fishs ? Can I do anything that can help,note that I planted the aquarium and there are a lot of hiding places

yukondog
Anything is possible, but from what I've seen with mine is they are very good about parenting, every batch your going to have some loss, do you have another tank you can put her and the fry in?
After mine were about 4 mo. old and in there own tank for some reason I lost about 12 in two days no sign of stress WC 2 times a week param. good, things happen. Good luck

Genderal
Actually I don't have another tank .anyway let's wait and see .thanks everyone for your help and your time

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views