Kribs eating sand

Discussion in 'Kribensis - Kribs' started by kidster9700, Aug 2, 2015.

1. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

So my female krib and sometimes the male krib, eat sand or something. They get huge mouthfuls and spit it out. Are they eating the trumpet snails? What are they doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

My platies and ram do this, I think they're just foraging for leftover food bits. They take sand in their mouths, nom for food particles and spit it back out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

huh, never had my platies do that! but i mean its like all the kribs do lol. she just goes around spitting sand every where. it's really funny because right now they're guarding eggs and so the female is basically queen of the tank and it looks like she's aquascaping or something XD

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yep, foraging for food.... and rearranging the substrate. Cichlids like doing this I've noticed.

5. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

its ridiculously funny to watch. she's super adventurous too, which is odd since normally the female stays in the nest to guard it. i think she's just well established that no fish are allowed near her rock burrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice