kribs and tank mates

1. deon junior Member Member

hi am am setting up a 40gl in a few weeks and i have narrowed down my potential list of fish i can choose from to:

any type of gourami(except for giant and kissing)
    kribs
    angels
    corys
    clown loaches (will upgrade when they get too big)
    rosy barbs

i am open to any suggestions
    and what do you think of the suggested list

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Since Clowns need to be in groups to be happy I personally don't feel 40g is big enough to start out with.

I love my kribs but when I put them in with my angels they keep the angels fins nipped. They might even nip the gourami.

Out of that list I would suggest gourami OR angels not both.
    At least three or more of whichever cory you like. I don't have any experience with rosy barbs so I can't say how they will do in the mix.
    I do have lots of Harlequin rasbora and absolutely adore them. They look good and don't bother my angels or my discus.
    Hope that helps
    Carol

3. Alasse Well Known Member Member

My 75gal has kribs, angels, goramis, rosy barbs & cories

The only thing in there that fin nips is the rosy barbs, they are completely demented lol gorgeous but yeah demented. I am thinking of moving them out of this tank as the nip anything that moves and the mongrels keep pulling out my chain swords

4. deon junior Member Member

ok cool so what about

2 angels
    2 kribs
    1 pearl gourami
    a school of smaller fish
    6 corys

5. tlabella12 Initiate Member

Are your 2 kribs the same sex? I have a male and a female in a 55g with 5 silver dollars, 4 giant danios, a red tail shark, and I used to have a firemouth in there. The kribs were the most peaceful fish in there (even more so than the danios)....until they started breeding. Now they keep my poor silver dollars cornered in one small part of the 55 and they viciously attack anything that goes near their babies. I'm in the process of cycling a new 45g tank for them to have to themselves so peace can be restored in my 55g. If your Kribs aren't going to be mating, however, they seem to be rather peaceful fish.

6. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I would only keep a single Angel, or a Gourami, or a pair of Kribs (which will rule that tank and produce lots of young).

My choice would be a single Angel because they have such great character and that keeps you interested in looking after them. Pairs always gave me problems. Plus, I'd have either a group of smaller fish with the angel or a larger fish that can escape the Angel when it's in a bad mood (which it will be from time to time).

I currently have an Angel with 9 colourful female guppies in a 40 gallon which has lots of ornaments the guppies can use to get out of the way (but actually he is very peaceful towards them, even the smaller newly purchased adult female ones - they have always been together from a young age). This tank is in a school so the Angel gets attention from lots of kids every day.

I also have a female Angel with a Rainbow shark (the shark was tiny but is of similar weight now - they got used to each other growing up together) in a thickly planted 40 gallon cube. The key thing here is the Rainbow Shark can escape into the plants when the Angel is grumpy. Occasionally the shark is grumpy and there can be a scuffle over food and a split in the Angels fin but it heals in a day or two. I think they are great together and keep life interesting for each other. They are never bored.

[​IMG]

I see no reason why you couldn't keep Corys too. My corys are in a tank with a sandy bottom and other peaceful catfish.

A single Krib would probably be OK but there could be friction with an Angel. THe same potentially with a gourami - too much like a rival that can't get away effectively.

Rosy barbs like cooler well oxygenated water I found. They suffered at higher temperatures.

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I as well wouldn't do both a pair of angels and a pair of kribs in that size tank. I would pick either or. If you want the angels maybe get rams instead? They are smaller and IME they are nicer. My kribs can be savage when they want to. I also wouldn't do the loaches. Plus that's a lot on the bottom to have loaches and corys. I'd instead do a small school of top dwellers like hatchets or something.