Kribs and angelfish

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Are kribs and angelfish ok to have together? My only fear is if my krib pair spawn the angels will want a snack and get torn up, I have been told that the kribs will only chase fish away and maybe bite a fin, is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

Hello :)

What size tank? How tall is it?
    How many Angelfish?
    Are any paired?
    Do you know their genders?

Other tank mates? Besides Krib

Water Temp?

Decoration or Plants in your tank?

pH & Hardness?

Your plans for any surviving grown Krib babies?

3. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Well kribs and Angels are two kinds of territorial fish that sometimes can't stand their own species in the confines of a little glass box so putting them together is like putting boxers into a boxing ring.

Damage could be major or minor. But of equal importance is the tendency of the losers to lose the will to live.

I have a six foot tank and would not put these together even in this much space. It just hasn't worked for me.

4. Andrew Sackett Member Member

I have a normal 55 gallon with 3 angelfish, none are paired at least I think I do not know my angels genders, I have mostly bottom feeders so that also worries me, water temp is 74 f, I have two pecies of drift wood one big and the other small, 3 cave like decorations one being a coconut shell for the kribs and some live plants like Anubis, Crypts, a type of sword and java moss also PVC pipes, I don't know my ph right now but I live in Seattle so the water is naturally very soft, my plans depend on this post if a lot of people think it cant work out I only have a 5 gallon that hasn't been cycled that I can put them in but I do have old media in the 5 gallon.

5. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

With all due respect to Redshark1, I must say that my experience with keeping the two species together, and having had both spawn at various times while in the same tank, has been quite successful.
    I believe this to be a result of the differing areas in which they spawn, and therefore defend, angels tending to mid tank, kribs strictly in shelters on the substrate.
    As Redshark mentions, having a large tank does make things much easier, but both with both species, it is not terribly unusual to see them spawn in a somewhat smaller community tank, which is rather rare for cichlids.
    Please note, however, that my opinion and experience with the two is no more valid than that of Redshark. Best, rick
    I highly doubt that your kribs will tear up your angels, even in a tank as small as a 55 gallon--what you will see is territorial behaviour intended to chase away and intimate, rather than injure, and pls recall that kribs will only defend a relatively small area.

6. Fish Fan Member Member

I have had success with angels and GBRs and Gouramis all mixed together.....I really think it depends on each particular fish's temperament.

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

I think a 55 gallon would be pushing it a little bit for the fish you have, Kribs & Angels I think are both very curious and like their space. The way I always explain Angelfish to people is from a very famous revised movie quote: "Their like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get!" And all my Cichlid/Angelfish have been like this. I've seen a few hold grudges, rekindle past love connections, you name it. Fish are way smarter than we sadly give them credit for. I wouldn't attempt what you are trying to do, you just don't have the space and I think you could easily become over stocked... I do strongly advise against Krib being housed in a 5 gallon thats much to small for them. I would see if you could take them back to the LFS, you just recently got them? so that may make an easier return.

8. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I do agree with Crissandra331 in that a 55g tank is now, or more importantly, will eventually push the limits of that tank size.
    However, I believe that none of the fish have yet paired, much less considered spawning, so territorial defence is not now a factor.
    I believe given the small numbers of fish involved (3 angels, for example, is to me, too small a group), so while I would use a larger tank, I do believe it quite doable in a 55g.
    Again, for example, I will remind you that kribs quite often spawn in smaller than 55g community tanks; the territory that they defend being quite small, and principally defended against other bottom dwellers.
    If two of the angels were to pair and establish territory, that would be a threat, but almost certainly to the third angel: kribs and angels simply do not interact very often. rick

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

I agree with ricmcc your on a fine line and if your dedicated enough, get the right decor & plants, do the right research, and really tailor that tank to cater too the Angels and Kribs which might make when they do pair (if they do) easier. Say you set it up so the Angels have more spawning plants on the UPPER RIGHT while you put spawning plants that would intrigued the Kribs on the BOTTOM LEFT... you know what I mean? But i'd start reading up on plants I think it will be VERY helpful in what your trying to accomplish.

Goood Luck :)

10. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Thanks

11. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

I've had an angel pair and krib pair spawn at the same time in a 29 gallon tank, and for the most part they were fine. My female krib ended up eating the angels eggs. They will both protect their eggs from each other, but i didn't have any real aggression against each other.

12. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Thanks for sharing your experience it helps