Kribensis?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ohio Mark, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I'm reading that 50 gallons is the best size for Kribensis, which rules out putting them in my soon-to-be-built 29 gallon, but out of curiosity, how compatible are they with other fish? Once listing called them semi-aggressive but it sounds to me like they are more of a bottom-dweller? Can they be mixed with surface fish? Any ideas on this?

2. aqua-man

aqua-man New Member Member

How much are you planning to place in the tank? And yes they are mostly on the bottom of the tank

3. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

At this point I'm just reading up on fish I like, so I might be ill-informed. (Just started seriously digging in to this today -- will be months away from actually stocking.) My "wish list" (or the practical one, anyhow) included: kribensis, celestial pearl danios, zebra danios, corys (a few kinds I like, muist settle for one species), keyhole cichlids, tiger barbs, and various tetras. Yes, I know many are not compatible, so that was just what was on my wish-list -- working at narrowing it down. I had hoped for a pair of kribensis, but the tanks size works against me.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Kribensis are fine in as small as a 20g high, they do not need a 50g tank. Where did you read this?

5. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

I believe it was on the profile on LiveAquaria ...

Yes... just checked. That is where I read it. Also came across various posts suggesting they might be rather aggressive for a community tank.

6. Anders247

Yeah, don't listen to LiveAquaria, they are one of the worst fish info sites on the internet, in my opinion. They only know how to sell fish, not keep them, lol.

7. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

Well, THAT is good to know! I've been doing a lot of my stocking-dreaming based on what I find there. Oh boy. Back to the drawing board....

You're very good at stocking -- any suggestions for Krib tank mates? I so wanted them with CPD's, but I am guessing that's a bad idea.

8. Anders247

Yeah, that wouldn't work, CPDs are so small I'd think they would be eaten.
    How about this?:
    8 cardinal tetras
    8 rummynose tetras
    8 kuhli loaches
    1 kribensis
    1 honey gourami

9. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

Thanks, Anders247... I'll see what I can learn about these fish... I like the idea of cardinals & rummy-nosed... not familiar with the honey gourami.

10. Anders247

No problem!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice