Kribensis - The Joys of Single Motherhood

Discussion in 'Kribensis - Kribs' started by Treefork, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Well first of all, I now have free swimming Krib fry. I don't have an accurate count because mama keeps them well hidden most of the time. I counted about 40 yesterday while they were still wigglers. Today, everyone in the 29 gallon tank now lives in 15 gallons of it on the right hand side. Mama Krib is aggressively defending her area. Unfortunately she has decided she wants to be a single mother and will not let Daddy Krib anywhere near the babies/cave. So he is looking a little depressed with his bachelorhood. I guess I would be too since the only fish-tail in the tank is mama Krib. :) Well, we'll see how it goes after a few nights of free swimming fry and 6 Cory Cats. She may have made a mistake giving Daddy the boot. I think she's going to need his help in nighttime defense of the babies. We'll see what happens.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on the fry Treefork!

Hopefully Dad won't be too sad for long :)
    Ken

3. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Lucky, I haven't seen any fry yet but that's bc they keep thier babies in a coconut and they build a blockade in the doorway. My female krib is smart, the blockade is so big she has to get on her side and wiggle in and when I try to look in with a flashlight she will go infront of the cave and block my view. I have seen tails poking out from the gravel so I know they are in there, I just don't know how many. What are you feeding the fry and congrats
    p.s. I bet I can raise up more than you can :p

4. OP
    OP
    Treefork

lol you are probably right about raising more up. I think there are just too many cories to defend against them all. Of course she did allow Dad in the cave last night I noticed before I went to bed. Guess she figures she can run him off days and then enlist his aid at night. I'm feeding them Hikari First Bites, they seem to be eating it fine, whenever I squirt it into the group they go all feeding frenzy on it. She's pretty much keeping them out of the cave during the day now. Still hard to get a count because she's kind of hanging around a planted area. I had to siphon some excess detritus and food scraps with a small air hose today because the cories won't go on the left 1/3 of the tank because she keeps attacking them. Which kind of sucks because I don't want ammonia buildup in my "nursery" area because of uneaten food. I'll just have to keep up with it. She did attack my air line, but she hasn't attacked my hand yet. :)

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

congrats! mine are going on 2 weeks and mom and dad herd them around the tank. Must be exhausting for a single mom.
    Carol

6. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Wow ur female is brave, when ever a forgein object enters the tank, she goes down to the babies and sucks up as many as she can then darts into the coconut shell and spits them out. I have only been bit once by my male and he packs a punch, I would hate to know what a larger fish (red devils) could do.

7. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Well, I gotta say, I'm a little annoyed with my female krib. (Yeah yeah she's a first time mother but she made a big mistake running the male off and not letting him help protect the fry). I'm down to about 4 fry. Each morning I get up there are less and less. 6 Cory Cats are just too much for one Krib mama to handle with a bunch of fry. While my male just sits on the other side of the tank and sulks.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Your Corys are eating them? I'm surprised the can get them in their mouths.
    carol

9. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Yeah it's easy. I've seen a school of cories decimate about 100 convict fry in just a few minutes. They'll eat 'em if they can catch 'em. They are pretty small and my cories are pretty big. Two of my cories are about 3 inches. My female krib is only about 2 inches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice