Kribensis Stocking Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by karl hazlehurst, Apr 25, 2018.

1. k

karl hazlehurst New Member Member

Hi I have got 4 kribensis and was wondering why they are aggressive with other fish in the tank. Would removing the male calm them down? What could be kept with them?

2. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

They are naturally territorial fish and will clear other fish from an area in order to lay eggs and bring up fry and will defend their eggs and young from potential predators (which means any animal big enough to fit an egg or fry in its mouth).

Other fish simply scatter their eggs so don't require this behaviour which takes up energy.

If you asking what could be kept in their territory I suspect the answer is nothing ideally. Anything weaker would be chased (with the intention of chasing it out of the territory which is impossible in a small aquarium). Anything stronger would stress the kribs out.

Mine bred in my six foot tank and required 4 ft of the tank in which to breed. The rest of my community fish occupied only the 2ft remaining. They were hard working parents and worked brilliantly as a team.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

1 Krib usually do well in a community tank. But any higher number than that, about 80% of the time they can and will become aggressive!

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

If you only keep one I would recommend a male, females can be a bit. I have kept a pair in a community tank and they were good until they breed and then all fish were a threat, they are excellent parents and will protect there fry at all cost.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice