Kribensis Questions

Willis19

Reaction score
Hello. When looking for a suitable centerpiece fish for a 20 gallon long I found the kribensis cichlid and started to research it. The Fishlore profile page for this fish says that the minimum tank size is 30 gallons. However, the Seriously Fish page says a 24''x15''x12'' (18.7 gallons) would work. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, do they need to be in pairs, or would one work? I am not interested in breeding and would rather not have any aggression from a breeding couple. Thank you.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think one would be fine .
If a 30 was good for 2 then the 20 for one is good.
If you got a pair it might get tight and you might run into breeding territory issues..
The are pretty good parents [tough] .

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One will be fine but I wouldn’t put a pair in a 24” tank with other fish, because they’ll breed and the whole tank will be their territory. They’ll get rid of the other fish...

OP
W

Willis19

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Anything special that I should know about this fish?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They like caves and stay around the rock structure if they can .
Not a very demanding fish. Most who get a pair end up with fry .
They spawned and raised their fry in my 180g over a 1 year period until I had to take everything out just to catch the 90+ of them that had grown up !

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Willis19 said:
Thank you for the replies. Anything special that I should know about this fish?
They are nice little fish when not breeding. Turn into homicidal
Killers when spawning. I had a pair wipe out the stock in a 30 gallon over night. Best to keep only one.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a kribensis for a while, it was a great fish, but it died some time after a rescape, probably didn't acclimate well and was stress induced.

They are complete beasts during a spawn, that is really one of the only major downfalls that you need to watch out for when keeping kribensis, other than that they are nice fish.

OP
W

Willis19

Reaction score
Everything sounds good and I will continue to look into them and other options. Thank you

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have some breeding and they are very protective of there fry, I would go with just one male, I'm doing the same thing but with a albino.

Mealor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I disagree with some of this if u have a tall tank I have a 125litre and it's taller than long and I keep kribs in a comunity with no issues as they don't like going right to the top of the tank and as long as the other fish are quick moving like penguin tetra or honey gouramI it's fine I also have a breeding pair in a 240 litre comunity with Angels that breed no agresion there I also have a shark in there and an dopamine gouramI the angels have a ding dong every so often but that's what angels do it's about how your tank is set up and how many territories you can create with enough peacfull fish the agressoive one's just defend there territories which if done correctly and spaced well will be fine

New Threads